Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Multi-Species Fanatic
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With work and a bad back I haven't been real active on here (or on the water for that matter) but thought I'd pass on this story.

Not to stir anything up - but I do want to point out that these folks were all boaters. The wading fisherman often take quite a beating this time of year as far as negativity (being snaggers, keeping more than a limit) - just goes to show we should never generalize a group as this article demonstrates idiots come in all styles and economic status.

Thumbs up ODNR!

http://www.portclintonnewsherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007704240302

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
I would assume that these individuals have done the same thing in the past and as such should lose their license for a year along with paying a substantial fine.

·
useless poster
8,807 Posts
i am sure that is only a small sampling of the poaching going on. most of those guys were out of state too. never let them back inn ,i say.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
WTG ODNR! It would be nice to see them set up a closed season during the spawn where you couldn't keep any walleye. Will probably never happen but would be nice to see.

Jake

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Its a shame. Hope the dnr reallly makes a statement with them. And all of the out of staters should never allowed to fish here again

·
Registered
199 Posts
Its a shame. Hope the dnr reallly makes a statement with them. And all of the out of staters should never allowed to fish here again
I'm with you on that one! As a matter of fact, Wouldn't it be better if walleyes weren't fished for 2-3 years? I say let some eyes' get bigger!
- - Everywhere! (opinions please)

·
getting wEYESer every day
1,288 Posts

Poaching is poaching, whether out of stater, or your local neighbor. Don't discriminate because of where they live.

We have poachers here too. I notice the DNR (here and there) are more apt to check out of staters, but do you realize how many locals are getting away with it every year.

I see it more with the deer hunting than anything here. Out of staters (Mich, Ohio, Ill., etc.) and locals alike. I agree with a very stiff penalty, even to the point of taking away their privileges in the state. But make the penalty the same for one and all, not just because they are from out of state.

·
Premium Member
10,892 Posts
It would be nice to see them set up a closed season during the spawn where you couldn't keep any walleye. Jake
The ODNR has a job of managing a resource to meet the needs of all users and beneficiaries of that resource.

They must balance the impact to the resource, the economic implications and the desires of sports fisherman.

A complete shutdown of fishing for walleye during the spring would have a huge economic impact on many communities and businesses along the lake. The numbers of fish that sports fisherman enjoy catching and keeping at this time of year have little to no impact (at current population levels)of determining is a spawn is successful or not. There are plenty off fertilized eggs deposited, mother natures role in the hatching and survival of fry is the main factor in determining a spawn's success.

I have a continued faith that the ODNR will make management decisions that provide the best overall balance of interests of all vested parties.

·
Banned
5,615 Posts
I believe they have our best interest in mind when they make decisions. Like Kim mentioned, closing a part of the season or even all of it during spawn would cripple many areas surrounding lake erie. The ODNR keeps a close eye on everything that impacts this fishery, as they know the economics of the region. Good for them....... THE CATKING !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts