Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished out of WW this afternoon on the nearly flat lake in my little boat. Tried perch first. Fished 30-45 feet -turns out they were out at 50(sad story!) Tried a couple dipsy rods with harnesses in the 37-42 ft depth. Couple drops on the retrieve-felt good, not sure what they were. While trolling back towards the launch, I had a vicious strike reminisent of a steelie blitz! After several drag screaming runs, and after knocking the motor into neutral, I landed the biggest sheephead I've ever caught. I have a yardstick screwed to the middle of one of the benches and it stuck out on both ends. Had no scale to weigh it but it took all I had by grabbing the lip and tail to throw it back. I looked up the record and that fish was 37.5 inches. I think I may have caught(and released!) a new state record. It was a fantastic, clean looking fish with a golden brown color. (Really not sure that is a record I would want but I'll never know now!)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Anyways!,at lake Cumberland.Didn't measure to it compare,but that one was a GREAT fight.I had to follow it out towards the main lake w/my trolling motor as it was trying its hardest to see just how much line was on my Shimano!

Sent from my VS870 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've caught stripers at WB in the 25-30# range and thought they put up the best fight. Even with my trolling rod and 30# braid, I wasn't sure this was big enough equipment for this fish. What a fight! Never had a fish on this stuff that pulled drag like a freight train before. Sure made up for what was a lackluster day up to that point. Still shakin! Why didn't I bring a camera?

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sad story is there weren't many boats out and it is a "big lake". Looked for the Yellow Boat as no good recent perch reports from the east side(with the exception of Fairport hump). Me, and couple others, radioed for perch reports aa few times out of WW and got zip! (There were only 8-10 trailers in the lot, and I assumed they were deep water walleye seekers.) Anyways, after several stops in 30-45 feet, some with a couple boats, most without, my perch count was TWO!!! I'd been baking in the sun for several hours and it was getting late when someone calls the Linda Mae around 6PM and asks how they were doing in 32 feet. The answer was worse than dismal! The guys says he just saw three guys at the dock who(with a couple other boats) had hit nice perch up and down and limited in a couple hours in 50 feet straight off the harbor-and were going home! LM fires up and heads north as fast as they could go! I had started trolling by that time and decided too far and too late to make the run. Now my question is, why wouldn't guys on those fish share them with their bretheren?? I have put others on fish on a slow day(and even the party boat!) when I was lucky enough to sit down on a good school of active fish on a sloooww day. Guess some people just don't get it. To me, that's just part of fishing Erie.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,123 Posts
Its possible they were on a different channel, did not have a VHF radio on, or had the music cranked.

Take binoculars and look for the other boats or use the high tech version and turn on the radar. The perch seem to always follow the larger group of boats by mid-morning... :D Seriously, anchor down current from the pack as they are producing a bait chum slick for you to fish in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts