Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have about 1/2 acre of grass to cut.
Right now I'm using a 21" Troy Built self propelled. I've been thinking of getting something a little bigger like 30" or so. At 1st I was thinking of a rider but I just don't think I want to go that route, I like the exercise I get while walking. Also I have a lot of landscaping to cut around.
I like that little Troy Built because it's very reliable, it's easy to maneuver and I never have any problems. What I don't like is with all this crazy spring weather it seems the mulching leaves a little to be desired so I have to cut some sections twice to keep the clumps of cut crass to a minimum. I'm sure a little more HP would do a better job in mulching. If I could cut the time down a little it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

I do see HD has a 30" Toro and Lowes has a 28" Craftsman.
I did see a few other companies make some bigger mowers as well and I'm just starting to look.
Budget, I dunno...$1500 I guess.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Should be able to find d a decent size walk behind with mulching kit in that price range , I'm also looking ,need something for our boat club river property , about 1 1/2 acres or so ,.club gave me a $1000 limit ,

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Get yourself a 30" toro timemaster push mower...I love mine...right around $1,200 and well worth it...comes with mulch plate/chute discharge and bagger...230cc engine too...toro is a solid brand...ordered mine from mowers direct and it was here in like 3 days...you won't be disappointed.
It's a 'personal pace' mower which means it adjusts to your walking speed on the fly...real fast or real slow or in between...and it leaves a beautiful cut.
Don't buy anything from a box store...got to a dealer or order online...if I'm not mistaken the freight was free...
And o yeah, it also folds up for storage...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Should be able to find d a decent size walk behind with mulching kit in that price range , I'm also looking ,need something for our boat club river property , about 1 1/2 acres or so ,.club gave me a $1000 limit ,
ehh you want a walk behind for 1 1/2 acres? Buy some goats maybe..

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
ehh you want a walk behind for 1 1/2 acres? Buy some goats maybe..
I don't , but he said he does , we need some type of rider , a zero turn type , but they only voted to spend $1000 so I'm limited

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
Go with a john deere x350 at a local dealer. It has the preferred Kawasaki engine and is a highly beefed up mower compared to the crappy d series that is at big box stores. You will easily get thousands of hours out of it with minimal maintenance.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Go with a john deere x350 at a local dealer. It has the preferred Kawasaki engine and is a highly beefed up mower compared to the crappy d series that is at big box stores. You will easily get thousands of hours out of it with minimal maintenance.
Did you even read the original post?

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Go with the Toro 30" Timemaster personal pace. One of the best mowers you can buy. It will only go as fast as you want to walk. Walk fast it goes fast, walk slow it goes slow.
I had to return our toro with personal pace. Our property is very hilly and it just wouldn’t work well on the hills. Just something to think about if his property has steep hills. Worked well on the flat parts though.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Why give 1500 for a push mower?
The man asked questions and he was given answers...it's not for you determine why he wants to spend $1500 on a pushmower...I wouldn't buy a john deere even if I had to...if you're gonna talk about 4,000 for a piece of equipment why stop there, just jump up to a scag or exmark zero turn...they blow john deere out of the water as far as cut quality and reliablity.

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
The man asked questions and he was given answers...it's not for you determine why he wants to spend $1500 on a pushmower...I wouldn't buy a john deere even if I had to...if you're gonna talk about 4,000 for a piece of equipment why stop there, just jump up to a scag or exmark zero turn...they blow john deere out of the water as far as cut quality and reliablity.
Its around 3k. Reviews of the above mentioned are nothing to write home about. FYI I am sure you can take out a 10 year loan on mowers as well.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why give 1500 for a push mower?
I looked at a few bigger walk behinds and they were just under $1000, online I saw a few at $1200 so I just inflated that number to get to $1500. Honestly I don't care or even have a budget.
A riding mower for my yard would be more trouble than it's probably worth. Too many trees and too many garden beds to cut around. The property is just over 3/4 acre with about 1/3 of that being heavily wooded.
My yard is flat.

When Toro 1st came out with the personal pace mowers I was 1st inline to get one. It was a POS. It kept braking cables and unfortunately I bought from a big box store. I got a dealer to work on it several times but it was always a fight, no one wanted to work on it. After 3 months and 4 cables and a lot of frustrating time on the phone I pushed it out to the curb. That's when I bought my Troy Built. Life is just too short to keep something around that pisses you off.
Now I do know several other people who have Toro Personal Pace mowers and love them.

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
I looked at a few bigger walk behinds and they were just under $1000, online I saw a few at $1200 so I just inflated that number to get to $1500. Honestly I don't care or even have a budget.
A riding mower for my yard would be more trouble than it's probably worth. Too many trees and too many garden beds to cut around. The property is just over 3/4 acre with about 1/3 of that being heavily wooded.
My yard is flat.

When Toro 1st came out with the personal pace mowers I was 1st inline to get one. It was a POS. It kept braking cables and unfortunately I bought from a big box store. I got a dealer to work on it several times but it was always a fight, no one wanted to work on it. After 3 months and 4 cables and a lot of frustrating time on the phone I pushed it out to the curb. That's when I bought my Troy Built. Life is just too short to keep something around that pisses you off.
Now I do know several other people who have Toro Personal Pace mowers and love them.
Good luck to your search

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I have about 1/2 acre of grass to cut.
Right now I'm using a 21" Troy Built self propelled. I've been thinking of getting something a little bigger like 30" or so. At 1st I was thinking of a rider but I just don't think I want to go that route, I like the exercise I get while walking. Also I have a lot of landscaping to cut around.
I like that little Troy Built because it's very reliable, it's easy to maneuver and I never have any problems. What I don't like is with all this crazy spring weather it seems the mulching leaves a little to be desired so I have to cut some sections twice to keep the clumps of cut crass to a minimum. I'm sure a little more HP would do a better job in mulching. If I could cut the time down a little it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

I do see HD has a 30" Toro and Lowes has a 28" Craftsman.
I did see a few other companies make some bigger mowers as well and I'm just starting to look.
Budget, I dunno...$1500 I guess.
Thoughts?
I have a similar situation , I used a 42”rider for my back yard and then had to use the push mower to trim around everything and used the push mower on the front and side hill. I decided since I’m 55 yr old and needed more exercise I would buy an ex mark 30” commercial mower with a Kawasaki engine. It’s a beast as it weighs 175lbs. It also gets me the exercise I desired and the mowing time was the same as I didn’t have to switch between two mowers and it cut down on maintenance costs. It was 1700.00 when I purchased , I don’t know what they go for now but I figure I’ll never need another mower. 3 years and running strong.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts