Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The uni-knot I tied in the middle of the spool of my bait caster a month ago, is now closer to front than the middle this morning. I changed out half of my flouro but not all of it because I'm a cheap skate and I know it.
Now, I can feel the spot on the spool under my thumb.
"Why didn't I just spool up an entire reels worth"? I ask myself silently.
Just a few short seconds ago, I cast across a nice, fat riffle. As my lipless crank came across, something happened that I had hoped would happen all this days early morning. My lure was CRUSHED by what felt like Ronnie Lott with gills! (You younger fellas can look that one up)
As I stand helpless on dry land with nowhere else to go (literally, I'm all out if terra firma) I can only hold my rod tip high and pray to God that the uni-knot I tied a month ago is strong enough for this big fish in striped pajamas.
-big run-
Silently said:
"Oh my God, don't, don't, don't!
Where's the knot? Holy crap!
Please, please, please, stop running!
Stay away from there! Not the current"!
The fish takes control of the battle and pulls its way into the seam and well into the swift current.
The knot ticks at my thumb as the spool free spins under moderately loose drag and with every "tick", the knot climbs ever closer to the surface.
"I'm screwed. Screwed! Dammit man!"
Then, just as I had suspected, the knot is off of the spool and breathing the morning air.
"CRAP"!
It's now halfway up my rod and my thumb is pressing harder on the spool. Dangerous!
The big fish sits in the current, biding its time. Waiting I'm certain, to cash in on the perfect moment to thrash it's ugly mug and snap my line like I know it can!
I begin to reel.
The knot is holding and returning closer to the reel!
Another crank or two.
"Maybe it's tiring" I try and reassure myself.
I crank a few more times. I'm gaining on it!
Suddenly, the beast takes back all the line I had collected as if it was only mine to borrow.
SOB! The knot ,now her knot, is back off the spool and nearly a foot from the reel!
Oh.My.God.!
Please God, don't let this knot break!
Why,why,Why didn't I just spool the whole reel up?!?!
The fish is swimming over here, now she's over there. Seemingly going wherever she likes!
Then comes the point in this "titanic struggle" that reveals that the fish is tiring. My cranking begins to collect plenty of line. So much so that the knot is buried some three or four layers deep and deepening! Now the fish is very close to me. She thrashes her tail and boils the water twice as a final challenge but we both know she's mine. In a few seconds I have her laying on her side in the shallow water. I reach down to grab her up by the gill plate when she kicks once more, soaking my entire face and neck.
I went to thumb her gaping maw when she jerks once more and snaps my line just above my lipless crank! I nearly leapt on top of her! Too tired from the battle, I'm not so sure she even had an idea that she was free , save for my lure still stuck in her mouth.
I got her to my bag, laid her beside my rod, got a good mark for later measuring, snapped a few pics and returned her to the water. She recuperated nice and fast and in no time we were no longer sharing one another's company .
I cast around for another hour with nothing more to show for my efforts but still left the hole grinning like an opossum.
I highly endorse the uni-knot now. It withstood the tugging and fight of a 27" and most likely a ten pound hybrid!
Tied my PB!

Attachments

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
Way to go man, great fish. Curious as to what pound test you use when targeting those big fish?

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Nice fish! What kind of reel do you use for those guys?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice fish! What kind of reel do you use for those guys?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Bps carbonlite baitcaster

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all. I'm praying that we get at least a small shad migration this year.
Things could get really fun!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
sniffle...everytime you and house and smbH post somebody asks you guys what brand of pants or shoes or hat you guys are wearing. Heck we even know which guys have the ogf panties on. Nobody has ever asked me a fashion question ever. Just once I'd like someone to ask "hey did you get those gloves at the dollar store or biglots?" No wonder House only wants to meet in dark bars or night fish...

great fish and well told story btw

1 - 16 of 16 Posts