close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Big Freeze 05'

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by River Walker, Jan 8, 2005.

1. My power got knocked out at 7:30PM on Wednesday night (1-5),and we just got it back at 8:30PM tonight(1-8).I also had a large tree come down and crush my garage,and rip a good chunk of spouting off the back of my house,sitting in the house Wednesday night (in the dark) and listening to all the trees getting shattered,and then come crashing to the ground is something I'll never forget.This storm coming only two weeks after the record snowfall we had here,kind of makes me wonder whats ahead,after all,we're only into the third week of winter!

2. Riverwalker-

Hope everyone is safe. These storms and the accompanying flooding have really been tough these last few weeks. I know that I will be buying a generator real soon.

3. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

I am with you Buzzman . We will be buying a generator in the near future and when we do finally get a house , it will have a big one installed in it . RW , our electric was out for almost 6 days here over Christmas . I agree that the sound of the trees snapping and crashing down will be heard in my mind for alot of years to come . This is for sure one of the weirdest winters I can remember .

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

welcome to ohio :D ;) :rolleyes:
    land of gray skies and orange barrels.whether you like the weather today or not,wait till tomorrow..............................it will change :rolleyes:

ps..............i feel for you,and am not attemting to minimize the effects of this weather or misfortune on you and others(myself included)or make light of your situation,but merely trying to inject a bit of humor to help through some bad times.it's something i do to help myself through tough times,as i can always look around and see someone such as yourself,who has it worse than myself.right now,i'm thinking of all those thousands of people who were affected by that tsunami,and i feel really sad for them,but grateful.i'm not one of them.
    my son(and his family)lost his home a couple months ago,to the ravages of a storm.a tree came through the roof and landed on his wife and 4 year old son while they were in bed.luckily they were basically unharmed.but although it devestated him,it didn't break his spirit,and he'll be rebuilding at great personal cost,because he still has his family,and knows there are others who are not as fortunate as he is.
    just keep the faith,and things will be OK. :)

5. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Wondered how you were doing river glad to hear your ok man and your family. My mom lives and mansfield and she was telling me how bad it got up there.

6. It's Sunday evening,and there's still a very large portion of Mansfield without power.Being without power wasn't the toughest thing to endure,even having the roof of my house badly damaged,isn't a huge concern,but the garage! A huge tree fell on the garage and pretty much wiped it out,and of course my truck was in there,that happened very early last Thursday morning,and I still haven't been able to get into the garage to see how badly damaged the truck is.I have to wait in line for somebody to come in and cut the tree away,and I've been told that it has to be somebody that is licensed and insured.Allstate informed me of all that in case I have to file a claim on the truck.With the thousands of downed trees around here,it will take awhile to get somebody to do it,but at least I'm not real far down the list.To add insult to injury,right now as I'm typing this,I can hear chunks of ice falling from whatever is left of the tree's on my roof.

7. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

8. Don't know about that! A guy two street's over was just found dead in his house yesterday.Of course it's never a good idea to have the generator running inside of your house like he did.I guess he had the generator running in the same room of the house he decided to sleep in! 34 years old! I had about 10 good-sized candles going,one room sealed off,and about three blankets.I didn't have to drop a couple hundred bucks for a generator that I maybe would've only used a couple times the rest of my life,and knowing how "mechanically" inclined I am,I would probably be in the obits myself.

9. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

I seen that on the news ....some people just dont a have clue any more, about what to do and what not to do

10. Wow Riverwalker! I thought we got hammered with the storm of the winter just before Christmas down our way. But it sounds like you guys got it worse even than we did with the downed trees. I feel sorry for you guys. We were fortunate enough to not have any damaged property from our mess as all of the tree came straight down. I would be sick if I had to see my garage flattened.:( And to top it off you can't get in there yourself and salvage anything. That really stinks. I hope you guys can get cleaned up soon and hopefully you too are done with your storm from Hell.

I feel sort of the same way as you about the generator not being worth it. The exception would be if you had a basement where the sump pump was critical to saving from a flooded basement. I guess even in the summer if you were without power long enough you could lose your freezer contents but I have never been without in the summer in excess of 2-3 days. If I find a good deal I may invest in one but I am not going to go out and buy now because these stores are taking advantage of the desparate shopper. I heard the other day that an local equipment rental company was selling generators (4500Watt Honda models) for $1,800! That is just insane.

You would think with the stories of people dying of CO inhalation along with all of the warnings that are written in the instructions that people would figure out that there is a danger in running these units indoors. I am not trying to make light of anyone's death due to this but it just surprises me how often you hear this sort of thing happening.

11. The power company people that are here in Mansfield from all over including Georgia,Maryland and Michigan all agree that this is by far the worst damage they have ever seen.In our local paper,one guy that works for a power company out of Baltimore,Maryland said that he's been with that company for over twenty-five years,and he's never seen anything like this.I never thought I would see damage around here anything close to what the blizzard of 1978 did,but I was wrong.Drivind down some of the streets here in the south side of Mansfield,one would swear that the damage was done by a massive tornado,or worse.The south side of town(where I live),still has power poles and large trees down everywhere,and people are stll without power.
    This morning,I was able to get a little bit of the way into my garage to check out my truck.From what I can see,there's a few nasty scratches on top of the cab,but I didn't notice any broken glass,or major dents.There's actually been two deaths and three fires in the last week due to carelessness with generators and kerosene heater's.I agree some of the places that sell them are definitely price gouging also.Some guy from South Carolina showed up in Mansfield the other day selling generator's from a trailer he pulled up here,I guess they were used to boot! The local police sent him on his way,and then I heard on the radio that he showed up in a different area of town,and they arrested him.People just love to rip other people when they're down!