close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

big fish, a little dissappointment

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by ChachiSnips, Jul 11, 2007.

1. ChachiSnips

ChachiSnips outdoors enthusiast

joined some family at their cottage on a small lake (Stoco Lake) in Tweed, Ontario this past weekend to do a little fishing. the first night I was there my cousin hooked into a big fish casting open water while we were going between spots with the trolling motor. he got the fish to the boat pretty quick and it was still really fresh when we netted it. got it in and we were excited. suddenly, it went crazy in the net, got unhooked, and apparently sliced through the bottom w/ the gill plates and slid right out. went from a total high to "what the heck just happened." felt really bad for my cousin and even more for my uncle because he kept blaming himself even though we'd checked the net and other gear before we went out. truly a fish of a lifetime and didn't even get to touch it. fish was mid 50's and pushing 40 lbs. (based on my uncle's being 51" and 35 lb. last year and this was absolutely bigger). at least got a short video of the last few seconds of the fight and netting it. ah well, he's young and there's lots of fish in that little lake up there. just venting, good luck fishing to all.

2. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

Oh man, bad break! At least you and a couple other people got to see the :B , that's something that you will remember for the rest of your life!

3. Thats called a very clean release.

4. I have fished that lake before. My camp is about 20 miles south west of there, in Madoc, ON. Never had a whole lot of luck on that lake... maybe I shoud be fishing it more.

Anyhow... sorry about the fish!

5. ChachiSnips

ltfd,

i'm 23 and have been fishing up there once or twice a year for about 15 years. we've always had pretty good luck for both pike and muskie. we would go up in the spring (last week of May, first week of June) and the pike fishing is great. not a lot of size to 'em, but lots of fun and they're real aggressive. the lake has been invaded by zebra mussels and over the last 5 years or so has become crystal clear. the weed growth now due to that is ridiculous. lots of bass and a high density of muskie as well. lots of smaller muskies, but usually get at least one in the 40's every week we're there. one trip my uncle took his 51" at dusk and then at sunrise the next morning my dad got a 48". if you've got a place close, i'd give it another chance. if you go to beachwoodhollow.com and look at the fishing photos there's one of my uncle's brother (camo pants, black shirt) of one he got in the spring a few years ago. fish was skinny, but 58" long. bit a pike he had on and didn't let go.

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

how bout that video ???
    I'd certainly love to see it.
    post if possible!

7. ChachiSnips

i'll see about getting that video when they get home. they're still up there through this weekend.