close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

big dipsy setup?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gju42486, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

im going to be going out next weekend and trying something new to me....big dipsies off the sides. Yea, Ive been fishing erie for the last 10 years or so since i was 11 and havnt ran big dipsies off the sides, we always pulled either little dipsies, big jets, or wire when the fish got deep, never big dipsies though. My question is, i plan on running 2, maybe 3 per side, on a 1 1/2, 2 1/2 and a 3 1/2....where do these settings go in relation to the boat, i am assuming, since the 3 1/2 is going to be out the farthest, it goes in the holder closest to the bow, the 2 1/2 should follow, and the 1 1/2 in farthest aft, is my assumption correct? also, is is fairly easy to run 3 per side, or am i better sticking to 2? Then my last question, is say a fish hits the 3 1/2 farthest forward, i assume, like a big board line, you pop the dipsy to trip (if it hasnt done so already) and let it swing around towards the back to clear the remaining 2 lines? Thanks guys for the help, hopefully everything will work out and we can widen are techniques a little, the 50 jets and wire line sure have been doing good though for us this year.

2. I have only ever ran two big dipsys off one side at once. not sayin three wouldn't work. From the limited eire fishing I have done the system that works best for me is two big jets on the board line with a big dipsy on a 1 to 1.5 setting in the rod holder closer to the transom. When you have two dipsy on one side of the boat you can clear them just like you clear the jets by swing it towards the back of the boat. Sounds like you know the system and just need to get out there and try fishing with the big dipsy. Good luck

3. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I would say start with two Dipsys, and maybe a Jet straight out the back.

My usual setup is a Dipsy on 3 1/2 (nearest the bow, as you guessed correctly), another behind it on a zero or a 1 setting, then a Jet in the holder nearest the transom. You should have them set lightly enough that a fish will trip it, or that it will trip when you remove it from the holder and apply very light pressure, not a hookset or sharp jerk (the fish has already grabbed the bait and turned his head with the boat going 2+ mph).

Most of the time, if a fish hits my 3 1/2 Dipsy, I hold the rod up, and give it time to swing between the other rods, and reel him in right down the chute.

4. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

George,
    I'm running 8 dipsies (4 per side). Only get minor tangles once or twice a trip. The rare tangle usually happens when a fish on an outside or middle rod swings into an inside rod, when the dipsy it is on doesn't trip. If the rods are mounted parallel, you can tell if there is a problem by how the rod tips react. The widest dipsy goes in the forward holder, the closest in goes in the aft holder. When you set out your dipsies make sure the boat is going straight and you're not in a turn. I don't run anything down the center. I use the back of the boat to set out lines and bring in fish, and a line out there would be a hassle.

Workdog

5. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

sounds good guys, sounds like i should be alright, ill give it a whirl next saturday when i go out,

6. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

one more question guys that i just thought of, it concerns re-setting a dipsy when hit. Ok, say im running 3 dipsies per side, 1 1/2, 2 1/2, and 3 1/2, with the 3 1/2 farthest forward, if a fish is caught and netted on the 3 1/2 dipsy, and i go to let it back out, do i do it near the rod holder where it goes, or do you let it back off the stern slowly enough that it clears the other 2 lines, my gut instinct say to let it out as far forward as possible...the same question goes for the middle dipsy, do you let it out in the middle of the end rods, or off the back?

7. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

George,
    I set all dipsies out the back of the boat. Say you're setting out your portside 3 1/2 dipsy. Let it out on the starboard back corner of the boat. Put it out as fast as you can, without getting the leader and snubber wrapped around the dipsy. If you let the dipsy out too slow, the dipsy will dig for the running depth prematurely, and when it swims over to the port side it will contact the inside dipsies on the portside. If you do it right, the dipsy will stay higher in the water column as you let it out. As you approach the let out distance, move over to the portside and put the rod in the pipe. The dipsy will swim over and drop right into the proper formation with the others. You can set middle rods this way too. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Workdog

8. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

sounds good workdog, ill give that a shot as well then

9. We normally only run 2 dipsys per side. But normally only 2 of us fishing. On the rare times that we have 3 on board we run a 3 1/2 setting, a 2 setting and a 0 setting out the back. When first setting lines the 3 1/2 goes in first followed by the 2. The 0 can be put out at anytime. When landing fish on the 3 1/2 it usually comes up between the 0 and 2. The 2 will come up between the 0 and 3 1/2 and the 0 up the back of the boat. When resetting lines, I let the lines off the side, forward of the rodholders. With the 3 1/2 it pulls out to the side rather quickly.