Big December Bass!!!

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fishingredhawk, Dec 20, 2008.

1. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Like the couple of addicts we are, Marshall and I hit the water today in an attempt to prolong our bass fishing season. We had water temps ranging from 36 to 38. After only a couple of casts we realized that we could be in for a long day of fighting the ice off of our rod tips and reels.

Those thoughts were pushed to the back of our minds pretty quickly when a few minutes in I caught one (10 inches) that was chilling out on a deep ledge. A minute later, Marshall had one pull off that he described as "beefy". By that time we figured that we might be in for a pretty good day of late- December bass fishing in Columbus, Ohio!

We worked another good stretch of water without a sniff, when we came to a nice laydown in deep water. I bounched my bait through the cover towards the very last outreaches of the tree. I lifted, and it got blasted!!! Result: A 5lb 6ounce beauty! 22 inches long. Not bad for December with water temps in the 30's. Here are a couple of pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wow very nice fish, fair weather fishermen you two are not and those that are well I guess its there loss . Great job as usual

3. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

I believe its about my time to get the big one.;) Nice job thanks for letting me net another pig for ya. Yep the ice sucked but well worth it. Thanks for the fun trip. Lets hope the ice stays away for a while.

4. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

I agree that it is your turn. Next time brother! I would say maybe tomorrow, but it is gonna be so cold that I think our reels would get completely locked up with ice!

5. tnant1

tnant1 Avid bait killer

What a great day! I am so stinkin jealous!

6. WOW..... Way to go Mike..... Marshall..... You need to take the front of the boat next time..... Ummmm.... Hate to break the news .... But tomorrow is GOING to BE REAL cold........ I know you two can DO IT.... Go for it.....

GarryS

7. By Golly do you ever NOT catch bass Hawk,my gosh even in December.I think it's time a few of us throw some money together and start sponsoring Hawk to go pro and out fish the big boys,he's beyond belief.What do you guys think? I bet he could compete.

8. Oh I think he could too.... Marshall also... They both are tough to beat....

GarryS

9. JignPig Guide

JignPig Guide Fishing Guide

Working out of town now and rarely get time to check the site. But when I do, I see that yet again, you caught another big one.
    Don't you know better than fish in those kind of conditions? FFFFFRRRRREEEEEZZZIIIIIINNNNNG.

Once you warm up... You should be proud of yourself.

10. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Very nice December largemouth. I have never quite mastered getting bass to hit in the winter:( . GREAT JOB!

11. That's a nice fish any time of year, especially in winter. Congrats.

12. Way to get the blood boiling in the bass boys!! Awesome fish,just proves if you go you have a chance if you stay home you just have to wait for you guys next post to see what could have been.!!

13. great job mike and marshall, i have a hard time dragging myself to my treestand for a deer in this weather, you guys are on the water!!!!! DIEHARDS

14. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

awesome bass, you guys are skilled bassmen.

15. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Great Bass Mike.
    Marshall, my money is on the ice coming SOON. Hey, you have to share the fishing with us ice guys too. You should try to get out with us this winter, you might be surprised how addicting it is.
    I've been hooked for several years now and love the ice season. Before I got back into it, I was like you, never wanted anything but soft water.

16. topwaterdevil

topwaterdevil SMB and Saugeyes.

Hard to believe there was open water yesterday with windchills in the -20's right now... nice catch!

17. Great fish Mike. You never cease to amaze me with the pigs you catch. I fully agree with Puterdude. I hope the ice holds off for at least a week so we can get out on the water this weekend.

18. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Real nice bass there. Congratulations. It was a little chilly Saturday. However, the real blast of arctic air arrived on Sunday. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

19. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

Mike, You finally did at the Bay! Thanks for setting the bar, now I know what I'm looking for there.

Great fish!

20. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

Dale, i know what you mean. I have a feeling with the way this winter is going you'll have plenty of ice. You just have to get past this next warming trend. Days like yesterday and today are teasers for the ice guys. I havn't ice fished im afraid of ice. It freeks me out. (makes to many weird sounds)