close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Big Debate

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by papaperch, Feb 7, 2005.

1. :) Ok , big debate at work . Who makes the better outboard motor ?

Mercury or Johnson/Evinrude. Personally I fall in the Johnson/Evinrude camp. Which one do you like ?

2. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

All I can say is HPDI ! And some day I hope I own one ! :D

3. Chevrolet. Oops, wrong debate.

4. I'd say the new Evinrude E-Tec engine is a good bit ahead of the others in technology but that's just a guess.

5. papa - I have had omc/rudes on every boat until the one I ordered this year. I always had positive experience with them until OMC shutdown and left me (a 2001 engine owner) and every omc service/marina in the cold. A brand new 200 Ficht with no warranty card ever sent. BUT I indeed have never had problems- thank God!!!

The result though. Fewer servicing areas nationwide and a bad bad taste with many of employees and shops. Bombardier came in took over and didnt cover some of the existing omcs. Now Bombardier has moved the outboard motors into a new dvision the "Bombardier family" - leaving a possible similar scenerio with current engines if they sell Evinrude.

The new Etechs could be just like the fichts (direct injections) in the late 90's- a great revolutionizing idea- but with many probs that took 3-5 years to bug out. Most all DI's are solid motors from 2001 on up- especially now.

Mercury has been around- improved their technology- backed warranties- and the service areas are everywhere. Their Opti 5 year nondeclining warranty may actually exist 5 years from now unlike the uncertain future of Evinrude.

Convinced me this boat at least!!!

Nip
    www.dobass.com

6. How does that saying go? If it's on the back, it better be black!
    Love my Mercury.

7. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

YAMAHA or HONDA

I know, I know - OK, Rudes

8. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

MERCURY!! a recent test done between Mercurys 250xs Optimax and Yamahas 300 HPDI proved that the optimax was 56% more fuel efficient.The Optimax also acclerated 11% quicker in a 0-30 run and had a 3 mph faster top end speed. Not to metion the new super charged Verados with Mercurys SmartCraft with digital throttle and shift to elminate throttle cables gives it instant throttle response. The Verado is also the featured motor of the 2005 Bassmasters Classic

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  9. crankus_maximus

Can you say problems with longevity? Also, have you heard a Merc run? They always sound BAD (and I don't mean in a good way).

10. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

I've heard many Mercs run including the one on our boat. I don't see how you can say Mercs sound bad when you can't even hear the verados or optimaxs at idle and when they are full bore you'll have to ask the people behind you what they sound like :D We've had our Merc for 3 years now and never had a single problem with it.

11. crankus_maximus

I sure can hear them at idle. When you've been running that bad boy for 11 years, come and talk to me. We'll see how many big dollar repairs have to be made in that time frame. Thats all I'm saying.

It was asked if I would choose a Merc or a Rude. Well, my answer is Yamaha, Honda and then Rude. Mercury absolutely last.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

12. I have an older Johnson outboard and it is very reliable and easy and fun to work on. I grew up the son of a greasemonkey (love ya Dad), and really enjoy tinkering.

I wouldn't know where to begin to answer this. Much like the Chevy/Ford/Dodge question we had earlier. I think you see alot more Mercs right now, and I hear the Verados are very quiet. But I'll probably stick with Evinrude/Johnson when I upgrade in a few years (God willing) and I'm very excited about the E-tec. I think it comes down to care by the owner, luck other than that. Every outboard, like any vehicle has defects.

Eric

13. Nips post reminds me that the E-Tec's have a 7 year warranty...

14. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

all of the small motors we've had in the family have been johnsons and we've had pretty good luck with them over the years.
    i've only owned one big motor(125 merc)and haven't had it long enough to have an honest opinion yet.but it makes my 17' monark get up and go when i lay the whip to the horses!

15. 2 Evinrudes, 1 Merc (latest engine). I would have stuck with Evinrude with the last boat, but the issues with OMC scared me away (and I think a lot of people ended up having issues with the engines and the service during that time). My Evinrudes were always great running motors (My dad has one, 1967 15 HP that is still running like a top, just a little heavy).

I've owned a Merc Optimax since 2003 and am very pleased with its performance. I haven't had a chance to see how good the warranty is, and that is a good thing.

I guess if I was buying a new boat again, I would have to take a very close look at both motors, and maybe even the Yamaha's. The health of the company and the age of the technology are really important considerations for me. I want a company that is going to be around to provide service and parts, one that I know isn't tempted to cut corners because of financial difficulties. I also don't want the newest whiz banger off the shelf, give them a few years to work out the bugs.

I do think a lot of the success that a person has with a motor is how well they take care of it, but there are lemons out there. The same year I bought my Merc, a friend stuck a Honda 4 stroke on the back of his Lund. Quiet motor, but that thing has been in the shop more than it has been on the water. This friend is very concientous taking care of all of his equipment. Every trip to the shop was also an argument with the dealer. Not a very efficient combination if you want to be on the water to fish...

16. crankus_maximus

Was that Honda dealer Bexley marine? I've never had good luck with those guys. Best Honda service and parts is Atwood. I have an 84 motor and work on it myself.

17. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

I've owned both mercury, mariner and now have a Rude Oceanpro on the back of my ride, I've been lucky thus far and all have been great. That Mariner I had for 8 years and it was one great motor. Still runs strong for the new owner, eh Sporty? ;)

18. I haven't had any direct dealings with Bexley Marine. The guy I know is from out of state and bought his Honda from a dealership in DeKalb, IL. I think he lurks around here every so often, but I haven't seen him post anything.

19. I love my '03 Yamaha 4 Stroke 9.9 HP High Thrust! Smooth, quite and strong. On my 16' Grumman bassboat, it doesnt fly, but all the lakes around here are 10HP. Had to replace the '96 Rude that was on it when I bought it in '03. Of course I was on a fishing vacation on Rice Lake when the lower unit started making interesting noices, so I decided to replace it up there. In the Rudes defense, the boat was rode hard and put away wet (pun intended) by previous owner. After new motor and rebuilding trailer axles and hours of clean up, I now have a nice boat that is garage kept.