close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

big darby

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by jgrasty7, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So I fished the big darby yesterday. The weather was beautiful and I only saw a handful of people, non of whom were fishing. I began fishing around 9:15am and stopped at 3pm. I caught 7 smallmouths and 4 rockbass. I used a buzzbait for the first time in my life and much to my excitement caught a 12, 14, and 15 in smallmouth w/it. The others I caught w/a rebel craw, another crayfish lure, and one w/a black spinnerbait. Now I'm excited to use that buzzbait at several other locales. I'll try to post some pics later.

2. Where part of Darby. All I get there is snags, snags and more snags.

3. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

The entire river has snags. I'm sure there were snags where he was fishing. I am also certain there were fish where you were fishing. Location isn't always the golden key to success.

CG

4. I parked my truck at the canoe livery near the metro park and fished upstream. The three larger ones came from a big hole maybe a 1/4 mile upstream from the bridge. The hole was 3.5ft and probably 100-150 yards long. The snags weren't a problem w/the buzzbait.

5. yes! you have discovered the best big smallmouth bait for shallow creeks.
    Now dont tell anybody ok ;)

6. snags = cover = baitfish+creatures+fish

7. Wiper Swiper

Wiper Swiper Banned

"Location isn't always the golden key to success."

critter, dude...location is ALWAYS the key to success! Presentation?...well...I guess in the right location, it could be a factor.

Kinda goes against the old adage that "catching fish is easy, it's the finding them that's tough", but...

...personally, I have more trouble with the finding.

8. if you want to get philisophical...you don't know if the fish are there or not unless you are using the right presentation.

but everyday is different. somedays you catch all you want on any lure in one place. Other times its many different places one one specific lure.

I think he was referring to the fact that there are alot of fish in darby. So you should always be able to catch a few no matter where you are.

9. I've heard so much about this hole. I know the area. But I can't see the hole. Which makes me think I'm missing something that everyone else can clearly see. One day I'm going to just walk down the creek until I fall into something.

10. Got a buzzbait convert!

Gotta love that thing.

11. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

The key to success is finding productive habitat in/around that location ;)

12. to add to the darby report, fished it for about and hour last week, awesome creek, caught 7 small and two spots, all but two 13-16. the fish where everywhere you just needed to know what you where doing, my friend got skunked. the darters where way cooler than the smallies, three state endangered species one of which is federally threatend in one riffle, what a treat!
    try an ex-rap or a spook, fish it fast then speed up;)

13. What is a ex-rap or spook? I'm a real novice.

14. x-rap is a minnow type suspending rapala bait, very nice looking bait but pricey. spook awesome topwater minnow type lure, moves side to side action on topwater and stays in the strike zone for a long time. you could lose alot of the x-raps in the darby or any creek for all that matters. def try a spook though!

15. When people are talking about x-raps are they talking about the jerk-bait looking one or normal crankbait (or both?).

16. the jerkbait, they bounce of off rocks well otherwise i wouldnt risk them in smaller waters.

17. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

I agree. As Danshady alluded to previously......if he found snags.........then he should have found fish. ;)

Another way of saying it, I could give him my favorite honey hole and he would go there and get snagged a LOT.

"you can lead a horse to water"

CG

18. hey iv fished the darby forever and use my pelican boat on it and a great spot for smallies is past trapper johns i recommend gander mt bulk tubes black with red flake and stuff a 1/8 wt in it. also a chigger craw texas rig 3/16. you'll catch 20 to 30 in a day also throw it in the current. have fun!!!

19. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

Scotts got the right idea. Nothing better than Tubes. Pitch them into the current and let em go, also pitch them in the deep cuts right after the current.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.