close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Big Darby

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by StuckAtHome, Jun 30, 2007.

1. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Fishing the Darby Sunday morning early to about 11:30 starting at 6-7am in the yaks, only place I ever floated was from alkire to sr665, its roughly 5.5 river miles if I remember the gps, my question is I know that area gets hit pretty hard, would upstream or downstream be a good choice? About 4-6 miles max, and I need to park at both ends(leave a car at each) and it be safe, and close enough to load and unload to the river. I looked at live.com for access spots, but its hard to tell. One spot is the little county road just south of 70, looks like a pull off but not sure, wonder if I could take out there and put in at the bends, gotta figure the river miles though. Any suggestions would be great, my partner is worried leaving his truck anywhere, so safety is a must, thanks.
    Mike

2. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

There is a new launch at Amity rd. and Scioto Darby. From there to 40 is 5-6 miles, if not more.
    You could also put in behind Darby Bends to 40 would be a couple of miles shorter.
    The launch at Amity rd. is a bear though with the water being down, the ramp is super steep.

You could also do Broad to Alkire, going through darby dan farms, thats gotta be 4 miles or so. Alot of nice looking pools in that stretch.

I floated from Scioto Darby down to alkire, and it was a long ass trip.

3. StuckAtHome

thanks Shwookie amd Smallmouth crazy, a lot to lookup tonight, hope the SM cooperate tomorrow(and there is enough water to float the yak!lol)
    Mike

4. shwookie

I know just south of the canoe launch at amity and scioto darby the water is plenty deep for quite awhile, then it gets very, very shallow.

Atleast thats the way it was 2 weeks ago, I can't see it changing that much. I had to drag my kayak through some of it.

South of 40 should be good well into darby dan due to the dam and 3 rock dams. You would have to portage the low wall dam at the farm, but can cruise through the 3 rocks dams. South of there to alkire would be shallow in spots.

The fishing has been tough over there for me lately, I have been going to griggs because of it.

But, i'm not very good, your results may differ. :)

5. StuckAtHome

well sounds like everyone SM creek fishing the bite is getting slow with the water levels and heat. I HOPE we have a good day, any day fishing is better than ... lol.
    Hope to post some pics Sunday night, got my new sony dig. 7.2 mp camera(won't bring my canon digital SLR on the yak, I'm not totally crazy!) and found a clear waterproof type box, gander wanted $20 for one, I got this at kroger for $4 and very close to the expensive one and I think it locks better. Wish me luck!
    Mike

6. StuckAtHome

Just got home, got alot of short strikes and lost 2 HUGE Sm next to the yak, I NEED A SMALL NET!!!!!!!!!!! Caught about 15 assorted fish in 3 hours, buddy caught ONE small Rock bass on last cast,lol, I bring out the best in people! Caught 2 really nice SM, both fish are mine, friend wanted to pose with one so boy thinks he's a good fishermen,lol. Anyways heres the 2 SM pics.
    Mike

Attached Files:

7. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

nice fish. me and my dad are heading out later, not sure where yet. Pond or creek. What were they hitting?

8. StuckAtHome

they weren't hitting very good, alot of short strikes, I got mostly reaction bites more than feeding bites today I believe, man there is a million little craws and small minnies and small shad its a wonder the SM aren't obese or hitting at all. In one little spot, my bait net with one sweep(its about 5" square) I caught 7 baby craws, and they love those. Saw 5 deer wade across in front of us, and one huge spider in my yak, I apologize to anyone within earshot for my girlie scream. I caught all mine on cranks retrieved VERY fast stopping a few times a cast. Had one blast it sitting still while I undid a birds nest, 13" sm. Gotta go do honey do's, the price we married men pay.
    Mike

9. shwookie

Those smallies are better than I usually get. Good job. Good numbers for how the waters been too.
    Where did you end up putting in at, out?

10. StuckAtHome

We put in at alkire, don't know if you know the area(I don't live east side) its a nice launch made just for canoe/kayak, we took out under 665, fairly easy to drag it out, its the 2nd time on the darby ever for me, both times same place, going to try once up river and once down to get a feel, but we never had to get out and drag due to shallow water, real nice trip.

11. shwookie

Oh yeah, I know the area ok. I have never done alkire to 665 though. I will have to do it next time.
    Next time you wanna hit the darby look me up. I'm always looking for someone to go kayaking with.

12. StuckAtHome

Sounds good, always looking for another yakker, I go mostly sat or sunday mornings.

13. Hey StuckAtHome,Those are some very nice smallies for this area! congrats!

14. shwookie

Yeah I saw earlier in the week where you said you were going sunday, but that was my wifes' birthday. So no go. Next time hopefully.

15. StuckAtHome

Thanks Knightwinder. I think I'm heading over to gander today to find some new trebles that hook the fish better and not just me. I saw some that had one of the 3 points bigger than the rest, might look into that and any others that I see that won't impact the lures action too much. I forgot to take a picture of the prettiest pumpkinseed, man they are colorful!

Shwookie, maybe real soon!!

16. shwookie

Sounds good.