Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Multi Species Angler
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a fishing report, but I do believe this information is very important to many of the central Ohio anglers and I wanted to post this important conservation information here so that they would all see it.

The old Orelton Farm will not become a mega dairy after all. It goes to auction tomorrow and has been divided into 25 different parcels. This is great news for the watersheds of the both the little and big Darby Creeks.

http://www.madisonpress.com/local.asp?ID=1705&Story=2

·
Banned
790 Posts
Great news indeed. We heard about this last week and got all excited, but were told that there's no guarantee just yet who will purchase the parcels and how many (i.e. another CAFO)
The Dagga and I met with the various organizations in a barn last spring who were all opposed to the dairy farm. It was amazing the cross section of people represented who all agreed this CAFO was not what anyone wanted.
But still, it got amazingly close to being 5,000+ head of cattle right on the jewel. In fact, I think the company is just having financial problems more so than the opposition had effect. I mean, teh friggin' Department of Agriculture is the one overseeing CAFO's in Ohio....what's wrong with that? THAT'S what really needs to be changed back to oversight from the EPA, not the friggin DOA or this will happen again, just maybe not in the Darby watershed next time.

I hope the local guys ae all able to purchase the tracts, or at least some consideration should be given to them. They are the ones who are genuinely concerned with the water table and the like....

But you're right, The Darbys would have never been the same.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Excellent news!

Don't ya love how the megafarms disclosure of who they sell their manure to is considered a trade secret in Ohio(so they don't have to)?!?! What a joke. The regulation of livestock waste seems minimal in this state. Ohio seems to take the side of business over the environment. I recently tested some water from the Tangy on campus as well as mirror lake. Both tested positive for fecal coliform bacteria. Will have results from Olentangy at Highbanks tomorrow.

·
Banned
790 Posts
The company who applied for the CAFO permit also had a LOOONG history of environemntal infractions, law suits, etc...
Big surprise.

You should have heard some of the hooey they were spreading about how it will bring jobs, who they inject fertilize all the time, lagoons, etc...

It was funny, a guy from Dept. of Ag was coming out to speak to the anti-meeting. Literally that day, there was a violation in Madison county of a farmer who broke a host of laws and a boatload of fertilizer made it into the creek and caused a fish kill.
The poor dude from DOA had to stand up there and talk about safe fertilizing practices, new jobs to the area...I thought the locals were going to string the poor dude up by his ears.

Bad deal, these CAFOs. Bad deal.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I recently tested some water from the Tangy on campus as well as mirror lake. Both tested positive for fecal coliform bacteria. Will have results from Olentangy at Highbanks tomorrow.
I work for a contractor of the city sewers and drains department. There are sanitary overflows all over the city. They basically allow sanitary waste to dump into the rivers usually during a big storm when the combination storm/sanitary lines cant handle all of the water. My guess is until the sewer system is completely redesigned in this city, fecal matter will always be there.

·
Kayak Conquistador
546 Posts
Good news indeed.

I recently tested some water from the Tangy on campus as well as mirror lake. Both tested positive for fecal coliform bacteria.

You should have tested Mirror Lake the Friday after the annual jump before the Big Game. I would be curious to see all the bacteria and diseases in that froth !#

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I just wonder how people will feel when someone or a group purchase a third of this land to put two homes an acre on it. There is some areas that could be turned into scenic scenes for people setting on their back concrete pad. The reason land in this county has gone up so much is not because farming has increased but instead housing has increased.

But I am glad that we will not have to deal with the mega farm.

I kinda wish all of it had been turned over to the state for natural land.

·
Banned
790 Posts
Walter,
From the stories I heard of the neighbors of these CAFOs...holy cow, man. That's some bad stuff. And these stories were from Madison county farmers who went and visited other CAFOs. It's not like they're not used to the smell of some ripe manure, and they had some scary stuff to say about the smell of living near one of these mage farms.

Good riddance to those dudes!! If you simply Google "Vreba Hoff Dairies" you get 10 pages of violations before you even get to their own website. Disgusting abusers of our planet.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=Vreba+Hoff+dairies&src=IE-SearchBox

BTW, for any others, this is a good site to subscribe to (free) and keep up on what's what in environmental news in Ohio:
http://www.theoec.org/LandFactoryFarms.htm

·
Registered
413 Posts
Great so another American Farm gets run out of buisness and gets bought up for a housing area.

The great American Dream.

·
Kayak Conquistador
546 Posts
Great so another American Farm gets run out of buisness and gets bought up for a housing area.

Yeah, housing areas are going to happen. But that is most definately the lesser of the two evils. Im all for American Farms to prosper, but they can expand thier company on land other than Ohio's premier watershed.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yeah, housing areas are going to happen. But that is most definately the lesser of the two evils. Im all for American Farms to prosper, but they can expand thier company on land other than Ohio's premier watershed.
More housing = more kids and (lack of better words) people that pull every fish out of there without even a license.

Kids will be planting pot plants and thrashing up the place. So the only remaining fish wil be so stoned that they will not put up a fight :mad:

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
SPEAKSUP,

Ever think about quieting down and listening before bursting in with something nonsensical? Your logic is pretty flawed. I'm pretty sure the mega farm buying the property is out of the Netherlands. Last time I checked the Netherlands was in Europe and not America. This information can be found in the article that you probably didn't bother to look at before 'speaking up' with your infinite wisdom.

Also...6000 plus acres divided by 25. There was also mention on how this land would continue to be farmed due to its quality soil and terrain. This is a pretty out of the way area that happens to be on the Western end of the Darby watershed. No one said anything about housing developments....or kids...or pot plants...or stoned fish...are you sure you aren’t the one smoking the reefer?

·
Multi Species Angler
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More housing = more kids and (lack of better words) people that pull every fish out of there without even a license.

Kids will be planting pot plants and thrashing up the place. So the only remaining fish wil be so stoned that they will not put up a fight :mad:
That right there is the post of the year! Congratulations for winning the prize. I wish I was so insightful and clever. :D

·
Banned
790 Posts

You are obviously trying to be controversial for the sake of being controversial.
You can't be that dumb.

I'm going with the assumption that you are just trying to get the collective goat.

·
Banned
798 Posts
So the only remaining fish wil be so stoned that they will not put up a fight :mad:
I've never seen a fish in my 20 plus years of fishing hitting a bowl or bong yet while I was fishing any river. I think most species of fish lack the ability to breath oxygen through their lungs, thus making it impossible for them to smoke grass. Also, most fish can't leave the water, so there's probably no way a fish could hop on shore, and eat the plants. WAIT.....

WHAT ABOUT GRASS CARPS??????:D

·
Registered
749 Posts

Also...6000 plus acres divided by 25. There was also mention on how this land would continue to be farmed due to its quality soil and terrain. This is a pretty out of the way area that happens to be on the Western end of the Darby watershed.
Sure would be nice if that 6000 became a NWR......I hope the parcels do remain ag. There are plenty of guys out there who farm right and view themselves as stewards, unlike many factory farm operations.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The state is talking about budget cuts and has proposed a bunch of crap that would be a tremendous negative impact on the ODNR and it's budget. So, there is most likely no way the state can buy all of this land and set it aside as NWR land. The new land use will most certainly be far better than what had been proposed(the CAFO).

·
Registered
413 Posts
SPEAKSUP,

Ever think about quieting down and listening before bursting in with something nonsensical? Your logic is pretty flawed. I'm pretty sure the mega farm buying the property is out of the Netherlands. Last time I checked the Netherlands was in Europe and not America. This information can be found in the article that you probably didn't bother to look at before 'speaking up' with your infinite wisdom.

Also...6000 plus acres divided by 25. There was also mention on how this land would continue to be farmed due to its quality soil and terrain. This is a pretty out of the way area that happens to be on the Western end of the Darby watershed. No one said anything about housing developments....or kids...or pot plants...or stoned fish...are you sure you aren’t the one smoking the reefer?
Yet the land is in America.

That right there is the post of the year! Congratulations for winning the prize. I wish I was so insightful and clever. :D
I guess people didn't see my goofy joke. I really don't want to see housing developements though.

You are obviously trying to be controversial for the sake of being controversial.
You can't be that dumb.

I'm going with the assumption that you are just trying to get the collective goat.
Contreversial no. American yes we both know how much that some housing developement would love to move into there. The way the economy is sounds perfect.

I've never seen a fish in my 20 plus years of fishing hitting a bowl or bong yet while I was fishing any river. I think most species of fish lack the ability to breath oxygen through their lungs, thus making it impossible for them to smoke grass. Also, most fish can't leave the water, so there's probably no way a fish could hop on shore, and eat the plants. WAIT.....

WHAT ABOUT GRASS CARPS??????:D
I swear I have seen drunk and stoned fish before :D

·
Banned
790 Posts
Wow. I really figured you were just trying to stir the pot to stir the pot.
So where to even start? I don't know how else to say this, other than you obviously have no clue as to what is actually going on or what has gone on up to this point.

Your statements don't make any sense collectively or by themselves. What housing development are you talking about?
I've fairly tied into that industry and let me tell you, land developers aren't exactly booming right now.
Not to mention the fact that land developers can't get loans from the banks.
Or the fact of how the land is actually zoned.

For some perspective, the proposed 5,000+ head of cattle produces waste equivalent to over 100,000 people a year....or about the size of Scottsdale, AZ proper.

Cut your losses, bro. You couldn't be more worng.There's almost nothing that would be worse than a CAFO, placed right there, by this particular company.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts