close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Big Carp from Barkley

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by CreekFloater, May 10, 2004.

1. CreekFloater

CreekFloater Have Water, Will Fish

Late saturday nite after fishing for crappie, was trying to catch a few bass when a huge strike almost pulled rod from my hands. 12 to 15 minutes later and I had netted a 28" Carp which weighed 19 lbs 7 oz. Biggest fish I ever caught, especially fun given the six pound test. I was swimming a jig with a grub on in when he grabbed it and ran. To say the least, it was one heck of a battle that left me tired once netted, weighed, photographed and turned loose. I will post pictures once developed.

2. You talking about Barkely lake in Kentucky?
    thats a big fish on 6lb line. How was the crappie fishing?

3. CreekFloater

Twist: Horrible! Rain had lake up about a foot, real discolored. EVen the locals are complaining about the bite this spring. Must have something to do with the late spring is their answer.

4. Buckeye Bob

Buckeye Bob rrbski, The Happy Carper

Nice catch...congrats...look forward to seeing the pic. :)

5. catking

catking Banned

Was that or was that not fun,Creek :confused: That's a heck of a capr on light tackle. Last time I got one like that on my crappie rig, the pole broke down inside the cork handle........ :mad: Nice going !!! DA KING !!!

6. CreekFloater

Hey Catking: The real bad part of the whole deal is when I lifted it from the net, it was so heavy that as I weighed it and had someone take a picture, the big fella rubbed up against me and...... I was instantly Carp slimed. Not the most appetizing thing right before my pizza and bud light after fishing.

7. Outstanding Creek! That slime will work its way into your system and the next thing you know you'll be making boilies and buying carp rod pods.

8. It seems like quite a few crappie fishermen get surprised by carp each spring. At Lake Vesuvius, a few decades ago, a guy was fishing for crappie with a small doll fly on a cane pole and caughtr either a 12 or 14 lb northern pike - I would have loved to have seen that battle!