Ohio Game Fishing banner

Big Boards

7K views 62 replies 18 participants last post by  Roy Page 
#1 ·
what is everyone running? what hard pulling boards do you like and don't like? Or tried and weren't happy with and now happy with what brand?

I need to get a hard pulling board for my TT's. Boards I have now, like a red cedar or redwood style, will pull ok but not when using jets least if there is any wave, pulled ok 3 on a side when the lake was like glass. Need to change that and get a harder pulling big board.

#2 ·
Talk to Frank at Amish Outfitters. Or Craig Lewis at Erie Outfitters. Or both ...They likely tell you the same thing anyway.

If you're going to pull good big boards in waves you'll need some sort of snubber for the boards to stop the sudden changes in tension that leads to false releases.

It's a journey. Good luck.

#4 ·
Make your own...I run triple boards look up striper planer board plans...

36" on the longest board 2ft wide...4-5 lines per side easily

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#11 ·
How high are your boards running out of the water? I added weights to mine, enough so that the boards are only 1 1/2 " out of the water, that makes a huge difference on how hard they pull. My boards are home made out of redwood.

Dan

www.bigfishtuff.com
Mine are also home made with four 2' long allthread bolted between the boards. By most standards, mine are probably considered huge. But the weight does help them pull much harder. It does suck for whom ever needs to pull them in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

#12 ·
Get some Cisco Electric Planer Reels and you can stand there and eat a sandwich while your boards come in....lol

Mine are also home made with four 2' long allthread bolted between the boards. By most standards, mine are probably considered huge. But the weight does help them pull much harder. It does suck for whom ever needs to pull them in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

#13 ·
How much weight are you talking Dan?...and explain ur method...

How high are your boards running out of the water? I added weights to mine, enough so that the boards are only 1 1/2 " out of the water, that makes a huge difference on how hard they pull. My boards are home made out of redwood.

Dan

www.bigfishtuff.com

#14 ·
How much weight are you talking Dan?...and explain ur method...
Capt. Jeff;

I have one pound weights, I simply set my boards in the water @ the dock. I add weights to the insides of each board so that i keep them pretty level and @ the same time this weights the boards down in the water so they are only about 1 1/2" out of the water, they never flip and with all that water pull it will put more tension on the tow line. My boards weigh approx. 18 lbs per board.

Dan

www.bigfishtuff.com

#17 ·

Dan

www.bigfishtuff.com
Dan, I would say they are half out of the water cause I have the top half painted florescent orange and they show very nice.

#18 ·
Get some Cisco Electric Planer Reels and you can stand there and eat a sandwich while your boards come in....lol
I wish, the cisco's can barely pull in my boards on a calm day. I have to drive to the side of the board I am pulling in. But then again I am pulling 3' long triple boards. :D I am using spectra line from a 9' cisco mast - think it is 550# line - you could waterski off this thing.

#22 ·
Do they have different generation motors? I purchased mine new in 2011 spring. If you can really just crank them in without any problems - perhaps my installer used too small of wire for the installation and they are starving for power. They strain to pull in the boards and if i just let them run, they will stall and then pop the fuse in the switch unit.
Not real sure...I generally slow the boat down and flip the switch...I too got mine in 2011

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#23 ·
I run my Otter Boards off my forward facing downriggers. The releases slide down the cable freely and bringing the board in is as easy as flipping the switch. The easy access to the cable is appreciated also.
Jim, did you modify these in any way? I have them but they seem to sag when running jet 40's. Was thinking about altering the angle of the rudder on them to see if I can get a tighter pull.

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.