Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ran inline for years, been playing with the big boards. When running Bandits of Big Boards is there and adjustment made for the lines being out of the water other than the first line closest to the board? Seems like if you were running 80' back you would have to add some to where the line goes in the water for all the lines except the first one. Then if you get a fish on and slide the lines down to the board you would be further back.
Another question is the angle the line goes in the water seem different on big boards than inline boards, or am I overthinking this?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Your inside lines may be running higher than the far outside till you work it to the outside. All depending on the angle of your line from boat to board. Maybe run the boards out more and keep all lines on outer half could “true” them up some. I don’t have a whole lot of experience with big boards though,

·
FFL/SOT
424 Posts
A bandit with 80' out is 17' down so even if your inside line is 15' out of the water it's still 16' down. The difference is a little more when running True-Trips but as said all the fish aren't at the same depth.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The answer is yes, you can technically only count the line as it touches the water. Depending on how high up the mainline your clip is you might have to adjust some. But as stated it might only be a difference of one foot or so of depth.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
If I'm compensating for line in the air off big boards I add the amount of line in the air on the middle rod which is generally 8-10'. Now the inside line is a bit shallower and the outside line is a bit deeper. It gives you a chance to see if the fish want it a foot or so higher or lower.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
It doesn’t matter, a couple of feet on the surface is only a couple of inches at the lure. You are way over thinking this. It’s simple stop making it harder than it needs to be.
At that depth 6-7’ on flicker minnow 11’s is a foot. Makes a difference sometimes. Just saying.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Dont worry about it is my opinion. We catch just as many fish on the first 2 lines closest to the boat if not more. My reels are mounted 7 feet high on top of the hardtop also meaning 7feet of elevation difference between boat and planer board. Some days the ones higher work the best.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Dont worry about it is my opinion. We catch just as many fish on the first 2 lines closest to the boat if not more. My reels are mounted 7 feet high on top of the hardtop also meaning 7feet of elevation difference between boat and planer board. Some days the ones higher work the best.
My boat is the same way if not higher. Once I get them dialed in everything is set the same. Those couple of feet dont seem to make any difference.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
7' Ugly Stik cal 1100 what else. My set up is a 7' planer mast on the bow though so my line comes off about 9' from the water.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I use 7'6" rods with 30/8 braid. Combination of wilderness rods and okuma rods.

·
FFL/SOT
424 Posts
What length/type of rods/line do you guys who run big boards with Hardtops use?
Assuming braid....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ugly stick Cal 1100/ 30 lb braid on everything. When we go to steel we put a 250' top shot of 12 lbs S/S on top of calibrated reels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts