Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to the guys that run big boards. whitch do you fish more and why, jets or small 0 dipsy. i see guys are putting realeses on there jets so they come in easy. but it seems like your turning them almost into dipsys. is the reason most use jets have to do with the larger speed window, while dipsys sink when you slow down. so far this year i have don better with jets then 1 dipsy run off the boat. have not tried 0 dipsy at all. thanks rockytop (BOB)

·
Registered
140 Posts
jets float, so you can set them faster.
Also on small dipsy, you have to pop them off the board line and hit them agian to realease the little dipsy. Jets are much easier.
You also can make tighter turns with jets.
With small dispys, if you stall a board, they can and will spin them selves up.
hope this helps

·
Registered
285 Posts
The guys started putting releases primarily on 50 jets because they pull so hard but still wanted to attain the depth (or greater) of a 0 dipsy. 0 dipsies can be effective but the releases suck. The release systems the guys are now using on 40 and 50 jets are much smoother and sure. In most cases the fish trip the release on the hit. Using a release on a jet will result in less tangles and if fishing in shallow water situations you can use a 40 jet without losing it or your lure. It can eliminate the need for 10 or 20 jets because all you have to do now is shorten the lead on a 40 jet to fish in say 20 FOW.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Question is: How much hardware do you want to have, play with, and keep getting? Do you need to get the 50-Jets to go deeper, or add and in-line weight in front of your 40-Jet to achieve the result?

I would say that learning to use what you have is the best choice. Everything catches fish if you know how to use it. Probably the worst thing you can do is get into the habit of changing from one style of fishing to another, it can create more confusion then anything else.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, this web site is great. you all make good points. i always just used dipsies and felt i wanted to fish earlier in the year. also when the fish are up the boards do better. felt limited just running dipsies all year. rockytop (BOB)

·
Registered
140 Posts
fish in the top 25ft, boards rule. Don't even run dipsys when there that high.
also when the water is clear, boat spooks fish. Esp. the big fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts