close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

big bass on 3wt.

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by joerugz, Jun 23, 2008.

1. I wish I had a great story to tell about landing a hog on a 2lb test tippit but I don't......I lost it in a heart beat!

Thats what happened while fishing for gills at Piedmont a couple of weeks ago. Should I put a 5 or 7lb leader and tippit on my 3wt in case that happens again, or just live with it. Does the heavier leader limit the gills?

2. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Yea, should used at least 4lb test or 4x tippet no less. Sometime I use 3x on my poppers when fishing grass beds. Got 2 bass 12" and a 15" on my 3wt today using 4x. Clearer water dictate what size tippet to use also. Also don't set the hook to hard either. I kept doing this and yank the flies right out. So I only strip set hook or let them set itself.

3. I've been sticking with 4x this summer and it's done a great job..pretty versatile with fly size for me.

4. Joe,
    I used to fish 6x tippet exclusively on my 3wt. Now I only use it when going after trout. For warm water fishing with the 3wt, I have just been using 4lb mono or fluoro. As a few recent pics of mine can attest, it works just fine!...And 4lb test on a fly rod, with it's shock absorbing capabilities, will land a pretty sizable bass.
    Mike

5. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

I agree with Ohiotuber on that as it what I am doing also not a problem on the 3wt. Biggest bass so far this year been an 18 incher on a balsa popper and grass to go with it. I been using Trilene XL 4lb test for the past 3 years cause I have a lot of it.

6. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

One time years back, when the steelie guys were all about florocarbon, I went steelheading with some floro I picked up. I read the label wrong. It was 3# test!
    Lost a lot of steelies on my 7 weight that day!!

7. Now THAT'S funny! (although it can easily happen) I'm betting you read 6X tippet as 6lb test....right?
    Mike

8. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

It was something like that......:confused:

Got a lot of smashing hits that day, the little leader didn't spook 'em.
    I remember searching the shoreline for discarded fishing line, anything woulda been better than brittle 3# floro......:p