close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bid Darby

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by twistertail, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Fished Darby for a few hours yesterday morning. Only caught one smallies that was about 14" and had a few small ones jump off. I did catch a really nice 20" sauger, that is the biggest sauger I have ever caught. Got it on a case hellgramite, talk about a nice surprise. Was not a real productive outing but it felt great wading through the water.

2. I was fishing the Big Darby, not Bid Darby. :eek:

I just looked and my sauger is good for a fish ohio, i thought it had to be 21 like saugeye but its only 16" for a sauger. That will be the first one of those for me for a few years.

3. Basskisser1

Basskisser1 And A Kiss For Good Luck!

Spent Saturday morning and Saturday night on the Darby. It was great fishing. I caught about ten nice smallmouths. My son caught a nice seventeen incher. My husband caught a nice eighteen inch saugeye and a twenty-six inch channel cat. Everything was caught on Yum Dingers. Oh except for the catfish and that was caught on a soft craw. :)

4. Sounds like you had a great day. What part of the creek were you fishing? I was down by Circleville.

5. Basskisser1

I just sent you a private message.

My son caught a small saugeye with a live baby helgie. Where did you get your case hellgramite? I've only seen them in catalogs.

It feels good to get a Fish Ohio :D

6. I got mine off the internet from the case website, dont know of any place around here to get them. I have seen them in the Cabelas catalog. It does feel good to get a fish ohio but I was by myself and didnt keep it so I dont have anyone to verify it.

7. what is this thing your talking about twist? I seem to do really good in darby with rooster tails and rebel craws, but I am willing to exparement

8. They are plastic hellgramites and they work great. www.madtoms.com and check them out.

9. Hmmmmm. Saugeye in the Darb? I was not aware of that. Are they found everywhere or just in the southern end?

10. What I caught was a sauger and they are all through the creek, have never caught a saugeye from there. I guess there could be saugeye in there, they could come up from the Scioto.

11. Learn something new everyday. I didn't know there was sauger in the Darby either. I thought they were mostly in the Ohio River.

12. Basskisser1

We've caught saugeye's in the Darby for several years now. This summer we have caught more. We have caught them on tubes and yum dingers. We fish from Rt. 40 down to Rt.22 at the Scioto River.

13. I'm ready to hit the bid D

hit me up twist

where we fishing at?

14. There is a pretty good population of sauger in the Big D. Over the last few years I have usually fished it about once a week from spring to fall and I would guess that about 75% of my trips either I catch a sauger or someone with me catches one. Its not very often that I catch more than one but have got 3 or 4 a few times, mostly small ones under 12".

Hey basskisser, you sure those are saugeye and not sauger? I dont doubt that there are some saugeye in the creek but they are hard to tell apart sometimes. Seems strange that I have caught so many sauger and no saugeye.

Hey snatch, let me know what day next week works best for you and we will meet up and hit the creek for a while. I have been fishing there at McClean Mill bridge but we could try there at 104 or back Brooks Miller rd. Monday Tuesday or Wednesday would be best for me.

15. Basskisser1

Well Twistertail............I'm not sure now if they are saugers or saugeyes. My husband looked them up on the OhioDNR website. Now we aren't sure what we are catching. We now know that the markings are different on the tails and the dorsal fins. Sauger's have black spots on the dorsal fins and Saugeye's have bands on their dorsal fins and a white spot on their tail. The next time we catch one, we will pay closer attention.
    Do you want to get together and fish the Darby sometime? :)

16. I would love to get together sometime. What days work best for you? I usually go through the week after work for a few hours. I work in Columbus on the south end so can pretty much meet anywhere on the creek.

You could have been cathing saugeyes but I have been with people who have caught a sauger and thought it was a saugeye. I have even had people tell me that they are the same fish, pretty close but not quite. Doesnt really matter what it is as long as you are catching them and having a good time.

17. Basskisser1

Any day next week is good. We live in Pickaway County, so maybe we could fish down by Fox. Or where ever you want. We are home by 3:30, so we could be ready to fish by 4:30. Just let me know.

18. I get off work at 5:00 and can be down there by 5:30. I'm supposed to meet up with polesnatcher one day next week, dont know if i will be able to get out 2 nights. We could all meet and fish but there are not too many places for all of us together, but it would be fun to fish a few different spots and see what everyone can get. You guys wade or bank fish?

19. Basskisser1

Hey Twistertail, just "PM" me with the details.

20. Basskisser1

We do both..............wade and bank. I do know of a place in Franklin County, where there would be enough spots to fish for everyone.
    Just let me know.