Betts Torpedo floats for indicators?

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by doegirl, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Anybody use these for fly fishing? I tried them today. They cast easy, don't get tangled up with the split shot/flies, and you don't have to use so much shot being that the float is already weighted. I may just order some smaller 1.5 and 2 inch floats.
    [​IMG]

2. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

NOpe! I use an a size8 stimi foam fly with dropper and other way is no indicator with a 5ft poly leader. Works so much better.

3. all and indecator is, is a glorified bobber, i have (made my friends) use worse and they work. i would try anything slim like that, those look like they should work fine

4. I haven't. I had these football ones that had a rubber tube and it would "trap" the leader. But I would lose them too much. Now I just tie a tiny bit of globug yarn w/floatant in an overhand knot on the leader, but I rarely use an indicator, maybe because it wouldn't indicate anything. ha!

5. I like the simple foam ball with a toothpic to peg it to the leader. Cheep, durable and easy to adjust the depth of the flies. Not sure what the advantage of the weight on the indicator is (assuming of course we are talking about fly fishing), you still need to get the flies down to the fish. I have used this type of indicator/bobber with a light spin outfit drifting hegramites (spelling?) to small mouth bass in a stream and they worked great for that.:F