close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best way to wire??? batteries?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by exexec, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Just bought a 14 ft aluminum. I want to be able to run 2 electric trolling motors-bow and transom, and an electric start 9.9, of course not all at the same time. What would be the best setup? I have a deep cycle and a starting battery now.

2. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

It just depends on how long you will be on the water at a time.
    If you fish a lot you might want to consider running 2 12volt
    batteries in parallel to give you more running time which would
    mean buying a total of 4 batteries. Or you could just set the
    battery alarm on your depth finder to go off when your battery
    weakens to the point were you need to switch to the other one
    to get the heck off the water. which would mean just buying 2.

3. My suggestion would be that two batteries is probably OK. I have tried to run both a bow-mount and transom-mount electric motor. I've found that the transom motor was better for minor positioning (anchoring). I did use the transom for some trolling, but once I put a decent LCD on the bow mount, I found mself using it all the time--and I had better control from up front.

Any way, I use one battery in the back for the electric start outboard and all the accessories (nav. lights, bilge, aerator, LCD/Flasher). If/when the LCD shows low voltage, I know to keep an eye on consumption. The front battery runs the bow-mount electric motor and sometimes a spotlight and/or aerator for the bait tank.

I disconnected the wiring between the two batteries so I wouldn't run myself out of juice--at least not without knowing it. If I really need to, I will swap batteries to stay on fish or start the outboard to get back home. Then again, I have a manual start 9.9 on board, too. A third battery would be a nice back-up, but it depends on how much I need to use the electric motor.

4. I'd use a Deep Cycle Trolling battery up front and a Deep Cycle Dual Purpose in the back with a pair of jumper cables just in case. If you drain them both enough that the jumper cables won't start the gas motor you still have the pull rope.

5. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I used a marine starting battery for starting and accessories and two trolling batteries parrallel for the trolling motor.