Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I would probably just tie a long rope from bow to your truck or winch on trailer.Since it's a smallish aluminum it should float off before vehicle gets too deep.Hop out,tie it off,park the truck and fish.Make sure rope is long enough that when it floats off,if you have to pull up a bit to get out of truck you won't drag it up when you pull forward.And if nothing easy to tie to,you can just get a cement block and throw it in the back and tie to it.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
239 Posts
I boat by myself 99% of the time. I just back the boat off trailer, then tie it to the dock , then park your truck. Read in reverse to load the boat.

·
-Brady-
440 Posts
I would probably just tie a long rope from bow to your truck or winch on trailer.Since it's a smallish aluminum it should float off before vehicle gets too deep.Hop out,tie it off,park the truck and fish.Make sure rope is long enough that when it floats off,if you have to pull up a bit to get out of truck you won't drag it up when you pull forward.And if nothing easy to tie to,you can just get a cement block and throw it in the back and tie to it.

This is how I do it as well. Tie rope from bow hook to truck bed tie down, back in till she floats, grab rope and tie off out of the way, park truck and away you go. Floating it off eliminates time on the ramp if you have a hard starting motor IMO.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
191 Posts
As long as you have a long enough rope follow advice above. Pretty easy. For taking out i pack a pair of hip waders and just get in the water w it. Beats balancing on the trailer. Just pull up to 2nd roller manually, attach hook, and crank up. Obviously don't need hip waders in summer but they help in the spring and fall w the cold water temps.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Yea,should've mentioned that.When I had my little boat,I simply cut a 2-3 ft. 2X12 bolted it on the tongue of the trailer and stood on it while pulling the boat up.Two of the square u bolts,brackets,whatever,that fit the square tubing of the tongue,drill four holes in the 2x12 and bolt it on.5 mins and you'll be good to go.Just don't keep your phone in your pocket until you've done it a few times!:)

·
Registered
239 Posts
And don't worry about people getting mad about taking a little longer, they will see you are by yourself and won't care. Just don't back your boat down stop right before the water and then load your cooler , take your straps off etc... Never fails i get behind one of these yahoos everytime I fish on a weekend.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I back in my dads ranger when fishing solo until it floats. Try to get it as close to the dock as I can. Then hop in and unhook the winch and safety strap. Back it off trailer and tie it up to dock. Pull truck out park it and fish.

·
CJ Cat Attack Pack
1,802 Posts
I'm launching a 24 foot boat most of the time by myself, I have a launch rope made up that I tie to the bow cleat, the other end goes to the Man step bar built into my Ford, I drop the tailgate and slip the rope over the bar ease the boat back into the water and watch it come off the trailer by the time I get to the tailgate most of the rope has deployed and I can grab it and get control of the boat and tie it off.... Doc

·
Registered
186 Posts
Best and fastest way is to back the trailer down, park the truck at the ramp, hop in your boat and back it off the trailer. I used to fart around with a rope but I found the easiest way is to back the boat off your trailer. Then park your boat at a dock, dismount, get back in your truck and park.

·
Where's Waldo?
1,130 Posts
I nearly always launch my 19 foot Deep-V by myself. I use a two-step process. After unhooking everything I back down until to a certain point that I can see on the trailer. The rear wheels on my Jeep are just at the edge of the water at that point. Then I get out, tie off two lines, fore and aft, to the dock cleats. I get back in the Jeep, back down a bit more and hit the brake, The boat comes right off and I don't get wet. I get out, secure it to the dock and start the engine so it warms up a bit while I park the rig.

When I come back in I basically drive the boat up on the trailer. I climb over the bow, secure the bow hook and crank it into place. I might have to change that once I get a little less nimble (in my old age,) but it works for now.

Years of practice...

MC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts