close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best way to hook a minnow.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bronzebackyac, Jul 19, 2005.

1. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

What way do you guys hook your minnows/shiners/goldfish etc...
    I like to hook through the lips but sometimes I hook em through the back by the dorsal fin. What is the best for what bait?

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I lip hook em all myself.

3. Slikster

Slikster Shore Bound

Depends on how I'm fishing the minnows. If I let it swim free with a weight a few feet above the hook I will go through the lips. If I fish them under a float I go through the back.

4. Wow I am the onlt one that hooks them through the tail? i have hooked them through the back, but find that they swim better when I hook through the tail.

5. TxTransplant

TxTransplant Fishin Fool!

Right through the eyes....they will live longer! Eye to eye messes up nothing but their site. Theres a cavity there....try it!

Gene

6. I usually go with in the back when fishing under the float, which is always the way I fish minnies. Seems to work for me!

7. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

i think the most natural presentation for dead jig fishing when the water is very still (like through the ice) is to hook through the back. i like to just nip the skin.

the only other way besides what was mentioned above that i do a lot is for perch fishing, and that is to actually thread the minnow on a hook or jig like rigging up a plastic bait. hook goes in through the mouth and out near the anal area or side. i miss less perch that way i beleive.

now that i think about it, ive had a lot of luck through the lips as well and ill have to try the other methods mentioned.

8. I hook 'em in the back behind dorsal for steelhead fishing.
    Seems to work better for me.

And for crappie and eyes I hook 'em right through one nostril and out the top lip...sometimes just through both lips.

steely