Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats everyone's thoughts on this...Is it best to take the fish itself wrap it in something and freeze it...is it better to measure it, take a pic and have a replica made or what not? If so what is the exact procedures you should take? (what all do you measure etc..?) It seems to me that releasing it would always be the best way...but I don't know everything that needs to be done before you can do that! ?????

·
Registered
297 Posts
Replica!!!

Take lots of measurements and lots of pictures and return to water ASAP.

Length and girth for sure.

I almost hate my mounted fish. Everytime I look at it, I'm reminded that I killed it. Dind't know about replicas at the time.

Winner

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
It's completely up to you, no one else. Keep in mind that a replica is very unlikely to have the exact dimensions of the fish you caught.

·
Tom B.
3,876 Posts
I totally agree with Magis on all points, it bears repeating that a replica isn't going to have exact dimensions. A good idea to think this matter over now before you have a huge fish at boatside/shoreline to decide upon.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Take a nice photo and frame it.

If you must have a mount, go with a replica. Skin mounts don't hold up well at all. The colors fade and in time the skin begins to breakdown. The dimensions on the replica may not be exact but at least you won't have a faded, rotting piece of fish skin on the wall in 5 years.

·
Set The Hook!
2,175 Posts
Even if you are going to get a conventinal mount take alot of pictures and measurements. Do not wrap it in newspaper as the printing can stain the fish. Put it in a plastic bag and place in freezer, get it to whoever you are going to do the work as soon as possible to keep from freezer burn. If doing a replica take alot of pics and measurments. Heres a pic of a 10 1/2 lb walleye that I had Bass Pro Shops make a replica of for me a few years ago.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Skin mounts don't hold up well at all. The colors fade and in time the skin begins to breakdown.
That is absolutely, completely false. A quality skin mount is more often better looking than a replica, and will last a lifetime. If your paying $6/inch for skin mounts however, I'd agree.
A good tip for going with a skin mount: wrap in a towel, soak the towel, then wrap everything in a plastic bag and freeze. This will protect the frozen fins from breakage.

·
'eye addict
478 Posts
A good tip for going with a skin mount: wrap in a towel, soak the towel, then wrap everything in a plastic bag and freeze. This will protect the frozen fins from breakage.
There is a very good chance that you have had more fish mounted than I have, but I'll just add what I was told. When I caught my 9 lb. walleye I got on the web to find out how to best preserve it. I found a website that recommended exactly the same thing, so I did it. I ended up sending the fish to Bass Pro Shops, because my cousin had previously had them mount a saugeye and was pleased. When I talked to them over the phone to make arrangements to get the fish mounted, the gentleman I talked to said that was the worst thing I could have done. He claimed that the fibers of the towel could end up working under the scales when the fish was being wrapped, then result in scales being pulled off when the fish is unwrapped. That being said, I think my fish turned out fine, I'm not aware that any scales are missing. It seems like if you let it thaw completely, it wouldn't be a huge problem. I just thought I would share what I was told by a taxidermist.;)

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
There are some taxidermists that prefer that they not be wrapped in a towel, but it is the most widely accepted way. I will admit, that's an odd reason. Like you said, common sense would tell most people to not mess with it until it was completely thawed, but who knows what his reason is. The most fool proof way is to put another plastic bag between the towel and the fish, but it's not really needed unless the taxidermist likes it that way. You bring up a good point, and that is to always choose a good taxidermist and see how he/she likes the specimen prepared before ever needing his/her services. I've not had many fish mounted. But as a taxidemist, even though I'm not a fish guy, I'm quite familiar with what it takes to get a quality mount.

·
Northcoast Madman
1,669 Posts
Take a nice photo and frame it.

If you must have a mount, go with a replica. Skin mounts don't hold up well at all. The colors fade and in time the skin begins to breakdown. The dimensions on the replica may not be exact but at least you won't have a faded, rotting piece of fish skin on the wall in 5 years.
I have a smallmouth hanging over my head on the wall right now that my wife caught in 1992 that looks just as good as the day she caught it.:D You have to keep you mounts clean, don't let dust settle on them, and they will look great for many years. As far as replicas go, I wouldn't want one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts