Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fly Fishing Addict
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is your best walleye lure for lake erie! i always use a green and white erie deerie with a worm on it and I drift and seem to always catch huge walleye or sheephead! i have caught perch white bass and catfish too even those damn gobies. I always seem to go for the green and white erie deerie first. I use 10 pound test and a steel leader and swivel snap and the erie deerie then cast and let out for awile then let it get tight and wait. no bites then i let out some more and wait. always get a bite!right out from the lorain lighthouse to beaver creak or park or whatever by vermilion

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Might get better response posting this under the Lake Erie forum.

Guessing that every method (jigging, drifting, trolling) , and every time of year, has some go to lures. Trolling dipsy divers with stinger spoons worked pretty well last summer. Best spoons for me were kevorkian, confusion, electric raspberry, watermellon, perch.

Time will tell ....this season could be different.

·
Fly Fishing Addict
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya i don't got a trolling motor and we just drift. too bad i wish i did. well if u just drift the green and white erie dearie with a worm on it is the best! i have caught a 7 and a half pound sheephead and many fish ohio walleye on it. i love fighting big fish so sheephead don't bother me. better than catching nothing lol

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,945 Posts
Hows the hot n tot work up there?:T
never even had a hit on the ones we pulled last season. i did hear of somebody getting them right outside of the breakwall off conny last year on hot-n-tots, but we didn't. you want to catch lake erie walleye pull orange crush scorpion spoons behind dipsy divers. if orange aint working switch to gold melon or kervorkein (purple):D

you dont need a trolling motor there are several ways to slow the main motor down to trolling speeds. i can get my 150 merc down to about 2 mph at idle. thats plenty slow enough. theres trolling plates, bags, buckets and so on.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
My best colors last year were kevorkian and monkey puke trolling behind dipsys with an average speed of 2-2.5mph. On my downriggers I used thundersticks. Nothing was favored though. Seems like whatever had silver on it worked. I never had any luck using hot n tots at Erie. But I have had great luck with hot n tots, wiggle warts, and jigs at Pymatuning, and Mosquito. I got one boat ready to go and if the weather cooperates I'll get my Erie boat ready soon and I'll test out some new theories.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
If it's cranks working it's a Reef Runner. Color depends on light, and water conditions. If it's spoon's I now pull a Spoon made by Moonshine Lures. Happy Hooker has some now. The purple, and pink colors worked very well last year for me, and they were a hot bait after dark since they glow. The paint is awsome and will take everything you, or a fish will throw at it short of bending it in half. On a drift bite it's a gold Tom's spin in 5/8 oz. or a #5 colorado blade in gold on a harness.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts