Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone's favorite jig to use? I just started jigging for walleye last spring and have been using genuine "Binkleman" jigs I purchased through an ad in In Fisherman over 20 years ago. They work well and I have become very confident using them. The gap is shorter than most jigs I see in local stores. I would like to find something similar to them. I get the impression a jig is not just a jig. What does everyone else out there use for walleye? I wonder what happened to those original Binkleman molds!

Dave H

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
If I am fishing inland lakes, I like the Northland Fireball jigs, tipped with a minnow or a crawler. I've had a lot of success with them at Mosquito over the years.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Fireball jigs have the short shank hook that sounds like your "binkleman" jigs. Very effective for drift and regular jig fishing. Northland makes a good product at reasonable prices. I often use their jig spinner (safety pin type spinner like a beetlespin) added to my favorite jig and plastic to give some flash. Dont have to swim retrieve it, just jig it and the blade flashes on the drop. Sometimes I will add just a splitring and blade to a jighead for the same effect. Bigger the sign, better the sale kinda thing.

Huntinbull

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
for inland, a pink 1/16 or 1/8 fireball with a crawler catches eyes when they refuse everything else, one of my all time favorites

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like Northland Fireballs get a thumbs up. Will definitely try them. Northland also makes a plastic swimbait called "Mimic Minnow". I tried one last week for the first time when I ran out of minnows around dark. Caught a crappie and one walleye in about 45 minutes. 1/16 oz. perch finish. I think they deserve some more experimenting. Gander Mtn. has a big display of them on the wall above their generic jig bins.

Dave

·
Registered
387 Posts
for my money, you can't beat the Bass Pro "XPS Walleye Angler" jigs. flat bottom, wide gap hook, huge variety of weights and colors.

It might just be a gimmick, but I sure love at least thinking that the flat bottom of the jig head helps keep the hook up :)

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s..._100008000___?CMID=FILN_OS_OTHERBAITS_WALLEYE

they also carry a ton of great harness tying gear, and fairly cheap reef runners, husky jerks, tail dancers, XRaps, etc. reef runners are 5.99, which is cheaper than alot of places you find around here.

·
Registered
329 Posts
i also love the fireball for livebait. but for plastics i only use lindy max gap jigs. a lot a jig makers use smaller hooks as the wieght of the jig gets smaller and a 1/16 or 1/8 ounce jig has a hook that is way to small for walleye.
happy jiggin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts