close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best Trolling Rod/Reel Combo?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jetdrivr, Mar 28, 2005.

1. OK, I know this is a loaded question, but...I am wondering what is the best, reasonably priced, line counting trolling reel and comparable rod on the market right now. I would like to get a pair for my boat (mostly for walleye fishing or possibly trolling for musky) and the options seem endless. Any user feedback on particular models to look for or maybe stay away from would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    ps...used is ok too, Ebay has it all!

2. What type of walleye fishing do you plan to do? Maybe hit Erie and use planner boards/dipsys? Or are you going to stay inland. This might help some of the guys come up with better suggestions.

3. Dicks Sporting Goods had a Diawa combo last year for $69. Diawa line counter reel and 8'-6" Diawa rod. Spool it up with 30# Power Pro and the outfit works as an across the whole spectrum of inline boards, Dipsy Diver's, in line weights,and flat line. I have also changed reels and used it with lead core though it is a tad soft for that application but still works.
    This setup will work well on Erie as well as inland for walleye, saugeye, musky and stripers and not get you involve in a lot of application specific trolling rods. Also check your PM's.