close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best Tow Harness for Inflatables?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Reel Lady, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

I was just wondering what our options are for setting up our boat to tow those big blow up towables? We pulled the kids on one with our (old) Tundra, but I just didnt like how the harness was able to come so close to our motor. Do they make a tow harness that is rigid so that no matter what it will always stay well behind the boat motor?

2. I know they make a tow harness that actually slides into the seat mount on the rear deck. I looked for one online, but unfortunately couldn't find one for sale but im sure if you go to a few marinas that sell towable stuff they may be able to help you. The best i could do is a picture of a saftey realease, but it is attached to a similar post that i have seen before which fits into your seat mount. Im sure you will recieve a few horror stories about people ripping up their seat mounts, but with you having a ranger i doubt it will hurt anything. Personally i don't mind the Y shaped tow harness that attaches to your transom tie down eyes with a float keeping the rope above the prop.
    Here is the picture:

Attached Files:

• 111.jpg
      111.jpg
      File size:
      6.5 KB
      Views:

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Swivel Eze makes a sweet setup that snaps into your rear seat mount. There's a HUGE advantage to those over the transom/float deal (i've used both). The pylon does a much better job of keeping the rope out of the water (which is a HUGE asset when towing inflatables) and the added leverage picks up skiers/boarders quicker and easier. When wakeboarding, the pylon makes it 10x easier to hit tricks, as your rope will be running chest high and not down at your knees.

Pylon (new) will run close to $200

4. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

yep, what shake said. Spend the bucks and get the thing that snaps in the rear deck, not the wire/float harness. The float deal will NOT get in your motor, but it really does stink when it comes to towing. Not worth it.

5. MAKtackle

MAKtackle your REEL friend

Call Norton...I believe they got what you need on the shelf, or atleast did? I remember seeing something like that at their show.

6. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Here is the problem... or potential problem with a pylon. Our rear deck is not the typical Bass Boat style deck. Its a raised deck, to the pole to the seat goes through the deck extension and then into the floor. I'm not sure how much higher than the motor the ropes coming off the pylon would have to be. I think from the floor of the boat (where the pylon would be inserted) to the top of the motor is probably 4 feet. Wouldnt the stress of pulling a large tube be too much for length that the pylon would have to be?

7. not necesarily, depends on how strong the pylon is. If i were you i would go buy a sold chunk of steel tubing (or a rather thick steel tube) that fits in the seat insert taht is about 4.5 -5ft high, drill a hole about 2-3 inches below the end large enough for a rope ( or screw one of those ski rope eyes to the top of it and use that, it will definately be very heavy to carry and put in, but then you know its strong, not sure what the price would be on a chunk of steel like that, but its worth taking a look at.
    J