Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is the best time of the year to catch yellow perch at Huron. I was there today but only caught 2 perch. Do the perch come in in the fall. if so about where and when. I have been fishing from Lorain to Avon perch fishing is great this time of year.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Perch fishing Huron isn't automatic but can be done pretty much all year. The most consistency is right out front, even though it has been slow for me the last few days, they're there, ya just gotta keep moving. In the fall the size gets a lot better, and it seems like they are in a little tighter. The dump grounds seem to be decent early and mid year. I also try to find the head boats like the clevelander.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Pay attention to the reports posted here on perch catches. Many, like me, will post a gps coordinate and FOW. There are several recent posts in various threads on where the perch are hitting.

Do not think that the best perching is always near Huron.......sometimes you have to travel like we did this past week (9 or so miles north) to catch your limit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I was there fishing yesterday evening about 1 mile out from the mouth of the river. My grandson and I each caught 1 nice perch. I've been limiting out at Lorain every day I go fishing there. I like the Huron boat ramp and the fact that the water is much calmer there than at Lorain.

I will be keeping an eye on the post. I only discovered this forum a week ago, but lots of good information on here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Slogged through the rain just out of the river towards the water tower in 24 fow. Two of us caught 15 perch, about 6 of them jumbos, 2 catfish, and minimal junk. Hoping it picks up next weekend, cuz the weather forecast looks good. Saw a kid in the boat next to us perchin', and he got himself a nice walleye out of the blue. He was pretty excited. Pretty sure he's hooked for life. :)

Just a quick question.... what size hook does everyone prefer for perch? I think I need to change mine up.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I like size 4. Size 6 is too easy for the smaller perch to get hooked on, so I think size 4 minimizes catching and harming some smaller perch. Size 2 I think is too large and may be felt by some perch as a foreign object. Just my opinions. I think for times of light bite it is also important how you put the minnow on the hook. I hook twice starting from the rear, then second time through or just behind the head. Others may have some good or better thoughts. Go getum!

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's the way I was leaning too. I used 6 because my minnows were small as well, but I wasn't happy with their overall performance. The only other size I had was 2, and I was hesitant to use them because they seemed so huge with those tiny minnows on them. I also seem to have better luck with the spreader configuration with the weight on the bottom and 2 hooks stacked, as opposed to the side by side spreader.
Hopefully I can get this perch thing down, because I love eating these things! lol Plus, I want to start going after the walleyes, something I have yet to do. This forum is a great help!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the way I was leaning too. I used 6 because my minnows were small as well, but I wasn't happy with their overall performance. The only other size I had was 2, and I was hesitant to use them because they seemed so huge with those tiny minnows on them. I also seem to have better luck with the spreader configuration with the weight on the bottom and 2 hooks stacked, as opposed to the side by side spreader.
Hopefully I can get this perch thing down, because I love eating these things! lol Plus, I want to start going after the walleyes, something I have yet to do. This forum is a great help!
WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT THE TWO HOOKS ONE OVER TOP OF THE OTHER IS VERY INTERESTING. I have always used that type of setup until just a few weeks ago. I am wondering if anyone else thinks one hook higher than the other works better than side by side. I am not asking to start a debate, I am some what new to fishing for perch from a boat.

I was always told to use #6 hooks, but what you are saying makes a great point. With the bigger hook do the perch just strip your minnows?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I always use the crappie set-up for perch also. Plus I put my 3 hook right on the bottom with my sinker. There is time I catch more fish on the top hook then there is time most fish come on the bottom hook. I I am catching more on the bottom I just put more slack in my line. Plus I always use a number 6 hook for perching and also for crappies. So one set=up work for both fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts