close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best smallmouth Lake

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Fish33, Jun 14, 2004.

1. What is the best smallmouth lake in northeast Ohio, besides Lake Erie? I want to take my dad out father's day weekend and he loves to catch smallies. Also, would this be a good time to catch them? Thanks.

2. I have done pretty good at Piedmont before and my dad got one that was 21" one year!

3. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

berlin and milton are pretty good smallmouth lakes

4. Flipp

Flipp Bass Chaser

Like procraft said berlin and milton are pretty good tappan has some smallies in it to. If u go to berlin try down around the dam area with tubes and crankbaits.

Good Luck

5. Dingo

Dingo

Some in Ladue as well. Best by the dam -- but I don't know how "legally" close you can get to the rocks.

6. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

Milton is always a good bet. getting close to the dams shouldn't be a problem if they aren't roped off. I doubt anything would be said, if you are even noticed.

7. I've had better luck catching smallies at Milton but I know there is good fishing in Berlin and West Branch. Milton has lots of smallies on the docks but often they are smaller. Back in the Mahoning river can be good too. There are some spots where channel and docks meet up on main lake that produce well at times.

If your willing to drive a little further and you definately have your heart set on catching smallmouth vs lgmouth then maybe you should try the Ohio river and I'd goto the Cumberland pool near East LiverPool, Oh. If you go there fish the mouths of the creeks , in the creeks, Tomlinson Run areas and look for the weedbeds. Just my .02

8. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

the cumberland pool hasnt been to good this year, we have a weekly club tournament and its only been taking 1 or 2 12'' fish to win.

9. catking

catking Banned

Coming from TritonBill, that's like gold ;) ........ :D I'm even going to copy that reply :D CATKING

10. catking

catking Banned

Hey , I'm not taking away from the rest of you guys ;) It sorta came off like that, and that was not my intention. Heck, I'm a carper anyways...er.....catter.DA KING !!!

11. As Dingo said, LaDue has some smallies. You can't "legally" get within 500' of the dam, but every time I'm out there I get close enough to touch the rocks. I've never had any problems, and don't expect any since there are no bouys or signs, not even at the boathouse or on the dam itself. If anyone says anything to me, then I've never heard of the rule. ;) I may go out there tomorrow to get a few. Also, there are some largemouths there. Last time I was there, I caught a 3.7 off the dam.
    Good Luck!
    LaDo