close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best Rod & Reel for Bass Fishing

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Reelson, Mar 21, 2005.

1. I really want to start looking into getting a new baitcasting reel and rod. I was just seeing if I could get some suggestions on what would be best. I will be doing alot of bass fishing this summer, and alot of lake erie fishing.

2. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

For the reel you can't beat a curado. As for the rod a medium action will fish a lot of different lures if you were to buy just one rod. I have St. Croix and like them. Also have some of the cheaper galyans rods and like them too. If you are tall, I would go with a 6'6" or 7' rod. If your not so tall, than a 6' rod may be better. There are a lot of good rods out there, cabellas, bps, gander to name a few. Pick one you like and can afford and go with it. Quantum acs are good reels too, magnetics are on the outside and easy to adjust.

3. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I'll give a vote for the Quantum Accurist PT's for a reel. I have 4 different kinds of rods. Gander Mountain brand, Cabelas brand, Galyans brand and Fenwick. I like them all and all are affordable (I didn't spend over $60.00 for any of them). Each guy on here is going to say something different because they like different things.

P.S. The mods will most likely move this to a different forum, as it deals more with tackle.

4. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

I think the rod and reel your dad can afford is the best one for you :D

5. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

6. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

LOL rob..you're killin me maan..

7. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

Yes you can beat a Curado and there is no such thing as the best
    rod and reel combo for ALL types of bass fishing.

8. JBJ

JBJ

To save some $, take a look at the Pinnacle Titanium Carrera ($80) matched with an All Star casting rod ($60).

9. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

In that case reel man it looks like the lad needs a loomis glx with a shimano calais. Ha ha. Smallie, i knew a curado could be beat just trying to save the gentleman some cash. What is your choice?

Hey Crankus we are in the tackle forum :D

10. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

Since Reel Lady and I have Castaics and a Curado you can be certain Reelson will be getting one of the same or lesser value lol. For the money I can't think of a better reel. I like the fast retrieve and would personally match with a 7'6" rod. Reelson is almost 6'4" though with freakishly long arms so I know he prefers a shorter rod. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  11. Last year I got a reel made by bass pro. It was the Rick Clunn signature edition. The reel performs very well and is priced way under comparable reels. I would recommend it to anyone shopping for a quality reel on a budget.

12. i'm rockin out with a Berkley 6ft med heavy lightin rod and a Shimano 4000 spin reel, never let me down with the hogs!!!!!

13. For lake erie fishing your going to want a 7' Medium action spinning rod. If it were me I'd buy a St. Croix Premiere or Avid rod. As for the reel, I'd buy a Quantum Kinetic pTI 20 Spinning reel to match the rod.

For inland lake fishing I'd buy a 7' Medium Action rod and reel to match would be a Shimano Curado SuperFree.