close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best/Most memorable fish of 2007

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by MuskieJim, Nov 29, 2007.

1. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

As the season is coming to a close (Besides you crazy people who troll in 20 degree weather), I am always anxious because the Chicago Musky Show is in Janurary.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  2. Pike

Pike

Sounds like you had a great year. I spent a couple days fishing with my sister this summer and we had one great day. She refused to hold her fish, but we had six hook-ups nd landed four. Her fish was actually a little bigger than mine, both were just shy of 50 inches. It was a great day to spend with her and an awesome memory. I will try and post pics later, I am having trouble doing it right now.

Pike

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I don't fish for them, but I had one over 40" at West Branch during a bass tourny. He hit right at the boat and just about pulled me in. It scares you half to death when your not expecting it!

4. [​IMG]

well this has to my best pike this year only goin to 30 inchs lol i was fishing in canada and me and my dad were throwing spinerbait and i just missed a good 36 incher right at the boat and move about a hundred yards down and saw thes small brush pile and i cast my spiner and soon as i was lifting it out of the water i saw it come right and smack it it was so cool i ripped up and hooked it good we also video taped this one it was going crazy jumping out of the water and every thing once i brought it up i was sacking like a leaf this is the biggest pick i have ever caught but let me tell you i have had so huge one on later that day i saw one of the bigest pikes ever grab my dad spinner right at the boat and my dad didnt even set the hook he just watch it in ahh then it droped his bait and swam away

5. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

Besides all the salmon and walleye, my most memorable was a PB 15# Northern.
    [​IMG]

6. EE

EE

That's a sweet looking pike, great picture!

7. fffffish

fffffish Muskie 1 Trolling Thunder

This was my best year ever not in numbers but I got my 2 biggest fish this year a 49 incher and 5 weeks later a 51.5 that went 47 lbs both from West Branch. And that crazy person you see out there trolling in 20deg weather will probably be me. ;)

8. zachtrouter

zachtrouter FISHAHOLIC

My best fishing moment this year was when my 3yr old son and I went to the trout derby across from waterworks park. My gf was with us also. After my son hooked her in the hair:) I cast with some Berkely powerbait and wam he reeled in his first fish he actually brought to shore. A nice 15" rainbow trout. My girl got pictures of him reeling it in, beaching it, and then as we were holding it. Got those pics blown up and they hang in my living room!!!!! My best fish was a 37" pike from the hoga'. Got him on a swimbait. The pic is on the 3rd page of my photo gallery! I also caught 13 more pike over 33" on the hoga this summer. If I get that 30+ steelie though that would be the #2.

9. This was my only musky of the year so I'm kind of limited, but here she is.

[​IMG]

The most memorable fish while musky fishing would probably be this walleye caught on the same Believer as the musky above by my dad (timbr):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It am always amazed at what a fish will try and eat.

10. When ya catch something like the walleye on that size bait it makes ya wonder if they had plans on eating the hole thing or just the tenders? I have seen shad and other fish that looks like they have had there back sides sawed offf or a fairly fresh fish with his midsection gone. Heres my only one of the yr[​IMG] here is the memorable one my partner caught 42 and absalutely destroyed a J-13[​IMG]

11. BuckeyeTom

BuckeyeTom Muskie and Catfish

Not a great numbers or big fish year for me, but here is my best of 2007(I'm still fishing though) along with a 30 incher that I caught yesterday. Enjoyed the post here! Good fishing to everyone in 2008!!!

Attached Files:

12. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

Wow....gentleman, some nice fish to say the least. A 40+ pounder from WB? That is fantastic! Also, that nice photo of the northern down below posted by fugarwi7 looks as though there was something trying to eat it! There's a perfect bite mark! (either pike or muskie)

13. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

Thanks...there are a lot of nice fish catches here...congrats to all! As for the bite mark comment, no bite marks...that is a piece of weed stuck on her, also some hanging from the tail...the guy who took the picture didn't notice it and neither did I...wish I had rinsed it off first, but wanted to get her back in the water ASAP.

EE: Hi Erik...thanks...maybe some day I can form a group from central Ohio and we can all go up to the cabin and try for some of these guys! BTW, how is your cleaning table coming along?

14. It was a great year at West Branch. My most memorable catch occurred on 6/22. I was trolling the point at Goose Island and had a SAVAGE strike from a large fish, but no hookup. I trolled to the other side of Goose and caught a 32" Musky in a few minutes. Of course I trolled back over the spot where I had the initial encounter, and the rod goes off. I knew the fish was small, but all of a sudden line peeled off the reel. You will see by the picture, that the LARGE Musky attacked the 28" Musky I had hooked. You cannot troll a bait that is too big! Hopefully, he or she will be there next year.
    John
    [​IMG]

15. BuckeyeTom

BuckeyeTom Muskie and Catfish

I told David(fishingohio) I was gonna post this for him,lol. We were chasing trout yesterday, when he got this chain pickeral on a roostertail. He had never caught a pike/muskie. Might just be enough to get him out muskie hunting,lol.

Attached Files:

16. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

By the looks of that muskie's tail on Luredaddy's post, that muskie your friend caught on the rootertail looks as though it would've been JUST RIGHT size for that muskie. Haha. Congrats on the catch!

And luredaddy, I fish WB a lot as well, and we caught over ten fish this year (which is a lot because we only went maybe 20 times total). When we were casting topwaters at night in Jay Lake, a HUGE muskie stole a three pound bass right off my line! Not only that, when we shined the light toward the bank, the fish was literally laying in the shallows with the bass sideways in her mouth. She then violently started shaking the bass, trying to turn it in her mouth, then disappeared. Crazy experience to say the least.

17. BITE-ME

BITE-ME Muskie Addict

Spent a good amount of time this year on the water chasing skis. Spent two weekends on the Detroit River, a couple at Clear Fork, but mostly on my home waters of Caesar Creek. We had a major algae bloom on Caesar this year which cut water visibilty down to less than 1' at times and spoiled the prime time for chasing skis. On a positive note, I think the muskie density at Caesars is increasing nicely, the resivoir is starting to produce some trophy caliber fish, I found some good new spots on the resivoir and I caught a new personal best at Caesar this Spring.

[​IMG]
    48" Caesar Muskie

[​IMG]
    48" Muskie Girth Shot

Wish I could have gotten some better photos, but my fishing partner was a little challenged with the technology of my digital camera... ugh. However my best memory of the season probably would be putting my uncle on his first two muskie in the same afternoon. I don't know how many times I have taken a non muskie fisherman out with me, to introduce them to the sport, only to end up getting :S. I think I might have been more thrilled than my uncle. Shown below is the better of the two fish we caught :T that day.

[​IMG]
    43" Caesar Muskie

Muskie Jim - Hope to see you out on the Detroit River again for the opener in 2008. I need to pick your brain about wading for muskies after seeing all those nice fish you posted this summer.

Later,
    George

18. joe01

joe01 Functional Fisherman

my 40incher with my brother on salt fork, jay74 cheers

19. My most memorable experience for 2007 came at West Branch this year.

I was casting a spot that has been productive for me over the years. It was late in the evening and windy, and it was hard to control the boat, but I kept at it, trying a variety of different baits until I thought I had exhausted all ideas.

The boat began to drift away from the spot and the light was falling as the sun had already set. I was going to hang it up, but thought of one more bait that I hadn't tried.

I fired up the trolling motor and pushed the boat back to that "spot on the spot" within the bed of weeds near a drop off. I pulled out the one jerkbait that I had not tried. It was one that had yet to produce anything for me since I carved it and painted it in my basement last winter.

I whipped it into the hole in the weed edge with an overhand cast and jerked it three times and the water exploded. He actually came out of the water and arced downward onto the bait during the strike. It was a great fight and he managed, with a single flip of his tail, to soak me during the netting process and that gave me a good laugh.

It was nearly dark by the time I released him and it all made me smile as I slowly made my way back to the ramp through the darkness of that mid-September evening..

That fish had been in the area of that spot the entire time and had watched and waited as I tried bait after bait. When he saw the one he wanted, he creamed it! A whole afternoon and evening of fishing with no results...and that "one more cast" made all the difference.

Musky fishing is a great chess match and it seems that at times you have be both lucky and stubborn to make something happen.:D

[​IMG]

20. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

BITE-ME, we will definately be up in the Detroit River again for opening day. After running into you guys last year, we ended up catching three skiis later in the evening in the same spot where your buddy did. I purchased a few Bondy Baits for jigging up some muskies, so we'll see if they work as good as everyone says!

Anytime you want to come up to Cleveland and wade for muskies in the river, let me know! I'll take you to the good spots!