Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Just One More Cast
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using braids exclusively for the past few years and was thinking aobut setting up a couple of my reels with mono once again. What does anybody think is the best would be for a baitcaster and a spinning reel, and also opinions on mono vs. florocarbon?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I bought some seagar flourocarbon this year and love it. I think it is leaps and bounds above any flouro I have ever used. Very little memory, tough as nails, and smooth. Kind of pricey but great stuff.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Thinking people tend to match their lines with the kind of fishing they do.

What kind of fishing will you be doing with the rods in question?

·
Certified Hawg Master
689 Posts
I fish for bass first off and used to be a only braid kind of guy. I started experimenting with other lines when i relised Braid is great but not for eveything. The 2 lines that I have used that I actually liked are Suffix Seigh and Gamma Copoly. I use both 12 lb and 14 lb test. I love the Gamma and liked the suffix. The suffix seemed to be a little too stiff for my tast but the Gamma. I like it.The only 2 applications I dont use Braid on is is senko type or fluke weightless presentatios and crank baits.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with Gamma mono or florocarbon. They amke both. Ever since I tried some of the Mono from a friend I have switch. It's great stuff and you can get by with a lighter line than you can with other brands.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ive been using Spiderwire XXX Mono 12# on a Shimano Sedona. Castability is great with very minimal line twist. Blakemores Real Magic turns it into a casting monster. Also the price fits my wallet.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
I'm old-school. I like Stren. Has always worked for me. I'll throw on a 6-8' floro leader when the situation calls for. I've tried to spool with the stuff but what I tried I didn't like. I found it backlashed pretty easily, but it could have been the brand that I tried.

·
Just One More Cast
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thinking people tend to match their lines with the kind of fishing they do.

What kind of fishing will you be doing with the rods in question?
Creek fishing for smallie's and rockbass, with the occasianal trip out for crappie. The rod is around 5' it think, (Berkely Cheriwood Ultra-light). I've thrown 6# in the past or 2#diam/10# power pro. Looking for good smooth casting, durability and something that is not too stiff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts