Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
!%A friend and I started out with no wind at 8am. Put the hammer down and Shot up to the spot we caught a couple walleyes the day before. 14 miles in 20 mins. awesome. We started on West reef, nothing but sheep and whities. came off the reef with good marks but only 1 walleye. The NE wind started to blow about 8-10mph. We were travelling toward the tower for a half a mile then got a couple keepers. went back up to troll through and only 1 more so we kept trolling southish toward the tower. after a mile or so we headed toward the rattles and picked up a couple more in a mile. back up for another try but no more walleyes. Headed toward tower and a couple more in a 1.5 mile trip. Then turned to south tip of south bass and ended with a single then a double header. Back at the dock with 7 between 2 and 3.5 pounds. Let 3 others go. We caught all on harnesses. purple hatchet blade on a 40 jet was consistent. Gold beads with mixed veggy colorado off a 1oz. inline 55-80 back also consistent. those 2 combos caught half the fish. The others were different colors but either 1oz or 2oz inlines, 40-80 back. We had 4 lines out. The 40 jet with purpleish hatchet blade caught 4 walleyes and only 1 sheep. The other lines were about 50/50 walleye to nontarget species. Great day for me and the ride back with the wind at our backs. My speed was 1.5-2.1 mph on the gps. Half the walleye came when we switch direction or changed speed.

One thing I noted, I caught a 7 inch walleye somewhere in the middle of the day. Do you think it is a large 2011 fish or a small 2010 fish. I would think the 2010 fish would be bigger by now.

Also, when I filleted the fish, their stomachs were empty. Every one. Is this why they leave the western basin, just not as much food?

tight lines,
Rickerd

·
Lake Erie Charter Captain
3,479 Posts
"Also, when I filleted the fish, their stomachs were empty. Every one. Is this why they leave the western basin, just not as much food? "

Put did ya see the fat on them ?? Very rairly do you see things in stomachs ? That is why they are feeding when you catch them !

And why do most think all the walleyes leave the western basin ? Yes alot of larger fish will go east and north for deeper cooler water but alot of those little ones stay out west for a long time ! Sometimes into late July and early August !

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they were fat for their length. Maybe they just digest food quickly. Only a few times would I see bait balls or clouds before we caught walleye.

I will take fish this size any day unless I'm in a tourney. They taste great.
Rickerd

1 - 3 of 3 Posts