Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve used a few different styles over the years, wondering what style,brand, and size hooks everyone uses? Also looking for a good tangle free liter line.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
If I'm fishing Erie open water the first hook is an octopus the second a treble. With 15-20lb floro. We used to use 10-15lb floro. It didnt hold up well enuff for us.
In inland lakes it seems its hard to beat a single slow death hook with a smiley blade and a bead or three. But 2 inline octopus hooks work to.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
I don’t think I’m a fan of slow death, worms seem to fall off more for me.
Fair enuff. But once you get it down they are flat out fish catchers. Imo most times better then a straight harness. Bit straight harnesses work fine to.
A little trick I was taught was to leave about a 1/4" tag end off your knot,thread 1/4 crawler(1/4 crawler is all that's needed any more tend to get pulled off) up past the eye of the hook an let that tag end of line go into the worm. It works as a keeper. It's one of the best finess techniques there is. But with all that said,I get bored pulling harnesses real fast,so I hardly use them....

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fair enuff. But once you get it down they are flat out fish catchers. Imo most times better then a straight harness. Bit straight harnesses work fine to.
A little trick I was taught was to leave about a 1/4" tag end off your knot,thread 1/4 crawler(1/4 crawler is all that's needed any more tend to get pulled off) up past the eye of the hook an let that tag end of line go into the worm. It works as a keeper. It's one of the best finess techniques there is. But with all that said,I get bored pulling harnesses real fast,so I hardly use them....
Are you trolling or casting? I'm casting so keeping the worm on is much needed. Super excited I have about 10 days in two different trips to Erie in the next month.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Are you trolling or casting? I'm casting so keeping the worm on is much needed. Super excited I have about 10 days in two different trips to Erie in the next month.
If able I'll cast to them. But like I said I dont use harnesses much anymore. But I also dont fish Erie much anymore. And I'd agree with you for Erie I'd use a reg harness over a slow death rig. The population is good enuff there,just keep it simple with a couple octopus hooks or one octopus with a treble behind it.
If u want some some really good info on harnesses and casting harnesses go check out hearttxp posts. He has posted alot of info on casting harnesses.
https://www.ohiogamefishing.com/threads/eye-keeper-charters-drift-cast-info-thread.192556/

Here is a running post of his in the lake Erie forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts