Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats your guys opinion. Used to duck hunt and deer hunt a lot so have plenty experience with shotguns. Never really got into hand guns have shot plenty though. So shotgun or hand gun? Don't want to spend a fortune but want something dependable

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Kids in the house? Pretty sure you have a couple. I’d go shotgun with number 7’s. Personally I like autoloaders for home defense. Don’t fall for the bs about racking the slide on a pump gun scaring the bad guy. Keep one in the chamber and out of reach of the kids.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Mossberg 500 with 18" riot barrel, take the plug out and load it with 6 rounds of #6 or 7.5 shot. At 20' there won't be much left after a couple of center mass hits. Leave the safety off with nuttin in the pipe.. only takes a couple of seconds to rack one. 00 buckshot will go through walls and possibly harm your loved ones. You'll sleep better with it within reach..

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm going to go against the flow here. I personally don't prefer a shotgun for home defense simply because it has a longer barrel that takes some room to maneuver. In an emergency situation, give me something I can keep close and wield more easily. I keep a Taurus Judge revolver in my nightstand. It's loaded with 5 .410 shotgun shells (home defense loads of course), and it will also take a .45 Colt cartridge.

·
Registered
549 Posts
870 compact model (shorter barrel) in 20 gauge, loaded with #3 buckshot (20 pellets). Holds 3+1 with plug removed.

I actually did a lot of research recently on the load and the #3 buck will definitely get the job done while minimizing over penetration. Slugs will go through all your walls and probably your neighbors too if they live close.

Finger Material property Font

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I keep my every day carry gun in my bedside drawer with a stream light flashlight next to it. The EDC gun goes from my waist at the end of the day to my bedside drawer and back to my waist when I leave the next day. During the winter a bolt action .223 gets added to the mix for shooting coyotes at night when the motion detectors go off outside the house.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts