close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best Guitar players...?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Hook N Book, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Who's the best or your favorite?
    I'm sitting here listening to one of mine, R. Cray's, "Out of Eden"...! One really nice solo and an overall good jam.
    This is by no means my favorite but definitely a goody...! :D :cool

2. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

Cray..Still Hot Smokin' Gun, great jam there.
    How about Leslie West...Nantucket Sleighride, the live version just rocks.
    Jimmy Page hands down is a magician with a guitar but there are many others that are fantastic. I might add....and a few that were!!
    I heard Hendricks version of The Star Spangled Banner on NCX the other night and thought to myself them amps gotta be smokin'
    Stevie Ray Vaughns version of Voodoo Child although i listened to Kenny Wayne Shepperds version and although it doesn't have a vocal performance the guitar is smokin hot. Rush Working Man!
    I give up...there's too many to list.

3. I would have to say that Stevie Ray Vaugh and Hendrix are at the tops of my list.

4. athensfishin'

athensfishin' Fighting the Man

Brian May(Queen)
    When he plays it looks effortless and smooth. Their music was all over their place and if anyone has looked up the tab they used some strange keys. My favorite part is that he didn't over ornament his solos. Too many guitarist rate their solos by how many notes that can fit into it and/or how fast they can play it. But any musician worth his weight will tell you that most of the best musical writing was great not because how much or fast it was but by the use of the notes and the use of the silence.

On top of that in July 2007 he got his doctorate in astrophysics from Imperial College in London at the age of 60. Let's see slash do that.

5. Put me down for Neil Young for versatility with many instruments, including the guitar. !%

6. How bout we chalk one up for Eddie Van Halen.

7. WB185Ranger

WB185Ranger Gotta Love Odie!

I say Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath) or Randy Rhoads (Ozzy)

8. alex lifeson 6 + 12 string...geddy lee bass!!! anyone else see where i'm going with this??? of course neil young is a fave as is eddie and sammy hagar!! on the country side though brad paisly kicks it up a notch!!!
    hendrics is in a class of his own...played a right handed guiter lefthanded!!!

9. Hendrix, Vaughn, Clapton, and I agree with wave warrior, believe it or not Brad Paisley can play, very well.

10. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

Not every artist has the ability to make you feel as if you are "there".
    Neil Young has that ability, everytime I hear Hurricane I can just imagine sitting in a crowded hazy bar.....there's just something "special" about Neil!!

Zeppelin....No Quarter...A cold snowy night, a sense of urgency....

11. Has to be a toss up between Michael Schenker & Yingwie Malmsteen with Hendrix a close third......

12. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Neil Young, Ted Nugent

13. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Tom Morello
    Dimebag
    Hendrix

14. no doubt ted nugent and brad paisley...they are both sick

15. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

For me its:

#1- Phil Keaggy

#2- Jimmy Hendrix

#3- Eric Clapton

I can't believe noone has mentioned Keaggy's all instrumental albums that span different styles, going to some awesome places with his expertise.

His album, "220" is aptly named! :D

I never tire of listening to his music and finding new things to appreciate in it. :B

16. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

I assume you're talking about rockers?
    There are so many it would be hard to choose...Hendrix, SRV, Robin Trower, Buckethead, David Gilmour, Herman Li, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson....I could go on forever.

However, classical guitarists have my respect and envy:
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIzKsNIRrV4&feature=related"]YouTube - Classical/guitar, Jim Greeninger, Recuerdos de la Alhambra[/nomedia]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  17. Am I the only one that likes Satriani?

18. Can't believe no one has mentioned Peter Frampton yet.

19. I will toss out a couple that guys will go what is he talking about..but I like the way Gary Rossington and Allen Collins played together, Ritchie Blackmore should be in there somewhere, George Lynch was a guy in the 80s, and I will round it out with Slash.