Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's you all's opinions on the best elec auger setup . I need a true 8" . Can't decide which route to go .
Factoring in cost/battery life / quality / and ease of operation what's the consensus .
I primarily fish large water like Saginaw bay and Erie . So I don't usually drill more than 30 holes a day . And often it's half that . But ice thickness is usually 8-20" range . Auger normally rides in my auger carrier in the front of my snowmobile

I currently have a Eskimo gas . It's been alright . But would like something lighter . And on bitter cold mornings it's lately become harder to get woke up .

I was looking at the StrikeMaster 24V but am concerned with battery life .

Seen alot of people having good luck with drill setups powered by brushless hammer drills . Thought about going that route with a clam plate. ?

What's your thoughts ?

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
I have both types but for Erie, I’d stay with the big boy! A few years back, there was 24” in the western basin. Don’t think my electric(on Clam plate!) would have been up to that “challenge”, esp. in 8”! Personally, I feel the Clam kit is better suited for inland waters and thinner ice(JMO)! Plus, since you have a snow machine, weight should not be an issue and 15 holes is not that big a deal.(That said, try the electric and post back later.) Pic was taken on 24” of ice!
Water Fisherman Sky Snow Recreation

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah . Those back to back ice years onesie spoiled us . Sure would be nice if she'd lock up good again. But unfortunately she's just been a tease since then .
If we get 24" of ice again up there I'll be amazed after being repeatedly disappointed in the last 5 yrs .

·
Registered
678 Posts
Jake I have the 8" ION auger...no complaints
Same, my Ion has worked flawless. I'd estimate you can get 100 holes on a single battery, depending on ice thickness. The only thing to take into consideration is that the batteries need to be kept warm or the cold will drain them. Learnt this the hard way last year. left my auger out of the shanty with the battery still in it and went out to drill some holes after a few hours and the battery was dead.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Go to Ice Shanty and see what the guys from areas that get more ice think of the battery augers. From what I have seen mentioned there lots of people use them in places like Minnesota.

Reactions: OHeyes

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I have the Milwaukee 1/2" brushless drill, will twist your wrist with the torque, paired with a K-Drill, older style, hole is actually 7- 1/2", new ones are true 8". Cuts like butter thru 12 inches easy. Get about 50 holes out of a battery if real cold out. Weight is awesome, take apart and haul in shanty tub. Reason I stayed a tad smaller, my vexilar will fit in a 10" hole, other auger is a 9" jiffy propane, a workhorse too. The Kdrill is noted for being able to re-open old holes with the chipper style blade. I also added an 8-1/2" frisbee to it in case it comes unbuttoned from the drill. they say they float but didnt want 200 bucks floating UNDER the ice..

·
Registered
10 Posts
What's you all's opinions on the best elec auger setup . I need a true 8" . Can't decide which route to go .
Factoring in cost/battery life / quality / and ease of operation what's the consensus .
I primarily fish large water like Saginaw bay and Erie . So I don't usually drill more than 30 holes a day . And often it's half that . But ice thickness is usually 8-20" range . Auger normally rides in my auger carrier in the front of my snowmobile

I currently have a Eskimo gas . It's been alright . But would like something lighter . And on bitter cold mornings it's lately become harder to get woke up .

Seen alot of people having good luck with drill setups powered by brushless hammer drills . Thought about going that route with a clam plate. ?

What's your thoughts ?
I have 3 augers. A gas strikemaster 10 inch, jiffy propane 8 inch and the strikemaster lite flight 8 inch paired with Milwaukee 1/2" brushless drill. My choice based from those 3 augers is hands down the drill set up. Reason being to many pros to list and no cons. I'm not worried about being out on Erie and the ice is to hard and thick for drill set up I'm praying for that! LOL.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
I think the Clam plate/drill is a bit too light(construction-wise) for really thick ice(don’t remember if it even comes with an 8” auger?) I based some of my comments on that assumption but could be wrong(been ‘there’ before!)🙂

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
My 8" Nils with Clam Plate & DeWalt has been great for inland, NE Ohio lakes. Not sure how'd it'd perform on Lake Erie, but sure would like the opportunity to find out. Hopefully lots of cold eeather & good ice this season.

·
Registered
974 Posts

What's your thoughts ?
The Jiffy has been the work horse on this rock for generations. But a few years ago I went to the Ion. Very happy with it. After punching your holes take the battery off and put it inside your shelter. The cold sucks the life out of them. Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts