close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

best eating?

Discussion in 'Panfish Discussions' started by GlacierDropsy, Sep 15, 2007.

1. When it comes to all the species that the common angler describes as a bluegill (pumkinseed, redear, hybrid, green, etc) have you all found one species to taste better in a fryer than the others? I've never compared from the same water supply, the fillets always end up in the same place.

2. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

Yellow perch are one of the best, but myself, 'gills, redears, pumpkinseed, all taste as good. I prefer crappie over all though. Still, they all are equally good in my opinion.

3. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

pumpkin and hybrid seem the best but thy're all about the same. I agree yellow perch are the best panfish with crappie next.

4. I second that. Yellow perch, crappie and gills.

5. 01mercLS

01mercLS It's Fishing not catching

crappie, perch then gills on my list.

6. Personally I can't imagine that anyone would be able to find a difference in taste between any "gill" species. I have had various species and they taste the same to me, that is they all taste great.:D

I would have to say my list of panfish species would be:
    1. Perch
    2. Crappie
    3. Bluegill/sunfish

7. devildog#1

devildog#1 hardcore fisherman

My list goes gills, perch, crappie. I don't know, to me there ain't noth'n better than some fried up gills!!!

8. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I can't believe that all you put crappie 1st or 2nd. Crappie are OK through the ice or from cold water but they can't compare to big fat redears or yellow perch.
    But then I like largemouth bass and would rather eat them than crappie.

9. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

The thread is about comparing different 'gill species as to taste. ;)

Personally I've not eaten anything other than actual bluegill yet.

10. I would have to say ring perch from lake Erie...but that may be the fact I only get to eat them once or twice a year (hint hint to you lake Erie guys with a freezer full...lol)