close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best Canoe for Fishing

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by BlueWater, Feb 17, 2005.

1. I am thinking of buying a canoe for fishing. Do you have some suggestions or do you know where I can go for info?

Thanks,

BlueWater

2. What type of fishing and what type of water will you be fishing in?

3. http://www.jowatercraft.com/Canoe14.html this is the one I have and its great for fishing creeks. I got it brand new at Sams Club about 6 years ago and I think it was only 299, or maybe 399, and it came with the paddles. Its really stable and can turn on a dime and is only 14 feet long wich makes it great for smaller creeks. Works great for 2 people and is not too bad with 3 people. Its a little heavy so its not a canoe to get if you are going to have to carry it a lot.

4. WINNER

WINNER I hate Cleveland.

This is a post I made on another board...I'll give you some of their replies.
    Do your homework! Make sure you get the best boat for your needs. The link above would make a good platform for fishing/camping. It will not be manueverable on the river and I wouldn't want to be the one paddling on a lake. Here it is...

I have also made the decision to get a canoe this spring. Wifey has approved the purchase. Now I am left with the decision of which one to buy.

Here is what my uses will be.
    1. Fishing (obviously)
    2. Something the wife and I can go in together with the pup (lab)
    3. I want to do some overnight trips with a buddy or two.
    4. Primarily I will be fishing moving water(70%), but it will see some flatwater action as well(30%).
    5. In the future I plan on a few youngsters.

The boat must be an Old Town as I get a great deal on them through Gander Mtn.

Here is what I'm thinking...
    Appalacian
    Dicovery Scout
    Guide 160
    Camper

Thanks, Winner

5. WINNER

WINNER I hate Cleveland.

These are the relevant replies I received...

Winner:

Congrats on your impending purchase. I have owned 4 OT canoes over the past 15 years. I currently have a Camper that I purchased used from a local outfitter.

First of all, I only recommend canoes made of Royalex. The Polylink may be cheaper and a bit tougher, but it weighs a TON and if you are trying to get that boat on top of the truck at the end of the day by yourself, you will regret it.

For a family, I would look at nothing shorter than a 15 foot craft, actually 16 feet may be better. I take my two boys (7 and 12) out in the Camper and it works well.

Osprey 15.5-nice all around boat in sporting configuration

Appaliachan 16.0 67lbs-better white water hull design

Charles River RX 16.3 62lbs-new design

Camper 16.0 59lbs-The old tried and true design used by many of the outfitters, hull design is not as user friendly in moving water as others.

Tripper 17.2 80lbs-Another tried and true design, a bit long for some smaller streams but has plenty of carrying capacity for overnighters.

I am interested in the Appaliachan and would like to give one a test paddle versus the Camper and Tripper.

Good luck with your selection.

If you will be lifting these alone don't forget to consider the weight. They all will suit your needs.

Appalacian= 67 lbs.
    Dicovery Scout =78 lbs.
    Guide 160=82 lbs. (It has a keel too.)
    Camper=59lbs.
    Tripper=80 lbs.
    Penobscot 17=65 lbs

My suggestion would be an Old Town Discovery 159 picked up from an outfitter. Depending on condition, you can expect up to a 40% discount from new (if you can find them new).

All the outfitters wouldn't be using them if they weren't durable.

I WOULD suggest that you consider the Penobscot 16, except for the dog...if the dog is active in the canoe. The Penobscot would probably be the best design for your uses, but is not great on initial stability, so an active dog would make the trip a nail-biter.

The Tripper, if as Hogfanatico suggested you replace the rotomolded seats, would be a good choice. In my opinion, anything over about 75 pounds is distinctly uncomfortable to load and unload solo. For that reason, I too would stay away from the Crosslink stuff like the Discoveries and Guides.

Hope all of this helps!
    Good luck!

Winner

6. I have had a Coleman sence 1980,great down stream canoe.A little slower in flat water than others.They slide real well over rocks,logs not very heavy either,GOOD LUCK

7. I had to chuckle at the coleman canoe comment by "truck". I take my trusty 25 or 39 year old coleman on portaging trips occasionally and simply drag it down the trails behind me as I hold the tow rope. On steeper slopes, I set it free. It's a cargo canoe, wide on bottom, so it's stable to fish out of, weighs about 60 lbs, and still cost about $300. Not the best for moving smoothly through water, but they withstand the test, chuckle chuckle.

8. Thank you all for the info.

I would use it mostly for lakes, but would like to use it in the LMR as well.

I have a trolling motor that I put on rented boats, and I would like to use it for the canoe as well. Should I get one of those flat back canoes or just get the after market motor mount?

I also saw that you can attach a trolling motor to a pontoon boat. What do you guys think about a using a pontoon for fishing in lakes?

Thanks again,

BlueWater

9. The flat backs are good if you don't intend to do much in the way river fishing. That is not to say that the LMR or any of the rivers around Columbus would be a problem for it. I tried one on the Greenbrier in WV one spring. Lets just say that the guy that owned it and me found new ways to get wet. I have taken a discovery/old town down the Greenbrier and other rivers through class two rapids with out too much of my hair standing on end. Never quite brave enough to try three class. I realy like them but they do have there limits. If you go to any canoe site on the web, they will have a list of what each item of a canoe is and what it means to your uses. I looked at canoes a few years ago and found out that there is a good deal of stuff that goes into each type of canoe. Good luck in your search and let us know what you decide.

10. Walter - thanks for the info about the flat backs. I will be sure to let you know what I decide on.

No one replied to my questions about pontoon boats. Anybody know?

I am also looking at a Kayak from Bass Pro Shop. It's item # 28-655-871-36 if we would like to see it on their web site. It's a Mainstream Kingfish kayak designed for fishing with 2 rod holders, tackle and bait storage. Any imput regarding this yak would be great.

Also, what do you think would be better for fishing a Kayak or a Canoe? I know the yak would be lighter.

Thanks,

BlueWater

11. I don't know anything about fishing from a canoe, pontoon, or SOT kayak.

However, this will be my fourth season fishing from a kayak (sit inside), and I wish that I would have gotten one 20 years ago. I don't think that there is a more versatile fishing machine for the small rivers, creeks, ponds, and lakes in SW Ohio. Each of the different types of watercraft have their distinct advantages, but when choosing just one for all conditions, I think that the kayak wins.

BPS in Cincinnati usually has a pool set-up for a few weekends in the spring to demo kayaks. Also, other local outfitters will sometimes allow you to demo their kayaks. I would suggest taking advantage of these demos prior to purchasing a kayak.

12. I have been using a SOT (sit on top) kayak and love it. A lot easier to load and deal with than a canoe, paddles better and faster and is more stable. I usually fish alone and it handles most all the rivers in my area as well as Erie. I use a wilderness systems Tarpon 140 that I got from kayakfishingstuff.com, great site and tons of great info. I will never go back to a canoe, or boat for that matter.
    If you plan on fishing cold water remember to dress for immersion and not the weather.

Good luck in your quest.
    P.S. Avoid the Mainstream....it does not paddle well and has no good spots for rod mounts, ram balls or anything for the fishfinder. Check in to wilderness systems, malibu, cobra or a like brand...they paddle great and last.