Best bet this time of year

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fishymcgoo, Jan 13, 2009.

1. fishymcgoo

fishymcgoo I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN

gotta know if anyone is catching ANYTHING lately? i havent caught much lately and would like to know whats my best bet? thought about going to a paylake for the first time and trying for some trout. i'm just dying for a good pull on that line!

2. Red The Fisherman

Red The Fisherman River Rambler

Mad River, great this time of year! Fly gear or light tackle and rooster tails.

3. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

Jeez,it's sooo disappointing to hear folks talk about "trout fishing" as something that is done for a fish that is stocked as put and take. Stocked trout are so not like real fishing. They are dumb as they come and they are so flabby they really don't fight anything like wild or stream-acclimated fish.There is no "good pull" w/ them,just flop and thrash. Maybe for some it's better'n nothing but IMHO it's like going home w/ the ugliest,fattest chick in the bar;not an option.
    Hit up the GMR,the saugeyes bite in winter and at least they taste better'n those pale imitations of trout and take some skill to catch.
    All the tailwaters of our lakes stocked w/ saugeyes are good places to fish in winter as the water flow keeps the ice off the water and the fish are there along w/ panfish.
    Brookville in Indiana has trout in their tailwater that bite well in winter too. Those fish are stocked too but they behave more like wild fish and actually fight as they have been in there long enough to become acclimated to life in the river,TC1

4. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

Saugeye are put and take as well. Just FYI

5. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

At closing time, with your beer googles on, that lady you described could look sweet:) ! Maybe a fat ugly farm bred Trout is just the thing to cure cabin fever in January. Go for it and let us know how you did.

6. xmatthewx

xmatthewx facebook.com/xmsdx8

just get out there and have patience. fishing is slow this time of the year, but last february i caught my personal best smallie on the lmr. just as the old saying goes, you might not catch as many this time of year, but, when you do, they are usually nicer sized fish.

7. and just remember when bass fishing this time of year.. low and slooooow. they are very sluggish due to their metabolizim slowing down so they arent as aggressive

8. xmatthewx

that's my dog.

9. BiteMyLine

BiteMyLine Just One More Cast

I've caught some trout "paylake style" and that is not much fun at all. By no means would I even consider myself a novice fly fisherman, but I do know that they put up a good fight on a fly. Caught a few last weekend at BTW and it was a blast. And as for anything else...I don't ever complain if I get to wet a line. Beats the crap out of sitting on the couch being a bum all day.

10. fishymcgoo

i think i am going to pass on the paylake thing. gonnas pass on all fishing the next couple days man its cold! i think once the weather gets a little better i will hit up the lmr and see if i can catch something more than a cold.

11. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

With the temps as they are...I will park the Yak and play Fishing Frenzy on Wii...

12. fishymcgoo

is the fishing frenzy game pretty good?

13. SAUGEYE HUNTER

SAUGEYE HUNTER CANT GO FISHING ENOUGH!

Fishing Frenzy On The Wii Is Awesome!!! My 6 Year Old Is Absolutely Funny To Watch Playing That Game!!! You Should Buy It!!!

14. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

I beat everything in 2 days and then it is kinda boring. There is no tournament mode so you just beat certain tasks to unlock baits/rigs and that is it. It is fun, but I am tired of it already.

15. Ajax

Ajax Rapala Snagger

I've been disappointed with the Wii fishing games that have come out. I have Rapala's Fishing Frenzy and rarely play it. The best fishing game I have found is In-Fisherman Freshwater Trophies for the PC. The controls are easier to use, the graphics are better and the fishing is more realistic.

16. remember black bass on the 1st nintendo? my still works and the game still works too

17. Fishing Frenzy is fun, but didn't meet the standards set in my mind by Black Bass nearly 20 years ago.

18. xmatthewx

haha yeah! black bass was the game of all games! if i couldn't go fishing when i was a kid, i was playing that. haha, good call man, that brought back some memories.

19. TeamPlaker

TeamPlaker Fishing Deadbeat

Hahah... I remember playing Black Bass too. :) I even bought the controller that was shaped like a fishing reel. I always hated the drag feature in fishing games.. you'd hook a 2 lb. bass and it would snap your line. I think it's mandatory on fishing games to use 2 ounce test line.

Attached Files: