Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a big time perch fisherman, but I've done more already this year than in the past 10 yrs combied.

I've been experimenting with rigs that attract the fish. My best to date starts as a crappie rig, and I add rattle / clunker attractor using rattle beads with metal beads.

I know there are guys out there as into the perch as I am the walleyes, and assume they have some special rigs or set-ups, and even though I tried to do a search, when you use the word perch, you get so many hits that you can't find what your looking for.

Anyone care to share a special rig designed to pull the fish in.

Tia & good fishing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1 1/2 oz and no4 red true turn single hook will get the big perch out of the mud. This system works the best for me. Braid line, sometimes fluorocarbon leader.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Jim,
I'm no perch expert either. I have been tying my own "crappie rigs" up though. I use a gold plated weight in most cases. about 4" above that, I have a bead, hook lear, then another bead. ( double the line back thru the bead so lear stays in place). About 8" above that, I have another bead/lear/bead. About 12" above that I have couple beads and a real small blade then swivel. I also have some colored tubing, cut to about same length as horizontal part of the lear. After attaching my hooks, which I tie with floruocarbon so they stand more straight out and don't "droop", I slide a little of the tubing out over the hook leader to help it stick out more and not tangle with vertical part of line. Wish I had a pic to show.

All that being said, I fish with folks that have no "bling" what so ever on their rigs and they seem to catch as many as I do! I think a better answer is to use the famous fish caller! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Three tickets yesterday 37' water, all fish 10-12"
Very nice!!

In the islands to have all fish that size is simply unattainable. Out of 90 or 120 fish you are doing good to have more than 10 over 10"s. Most are keepin some 7"ers to fill their limit.

You guys over east have the advantage big time on size.

·
Registered
182 Posts
We use a regular crappie rig with #4 long shank wire hooks and 3/4 or 1 oz. sinker. The #4's were a suggestion from a friend of mine a couple years back and I haven't gone back to #6's since. The perch seem to get lip caught more often than with the #6's which seem to lead to more gut shots. I don't go out for walleye more than maybe once a year but we go for perch whenever we can and have introduced a lot of first time perch fishermen to the simple crappie rig. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
moust sensitive perch rig
use 4 pieses 1/4 Oz slip sinkers ,4 beeds,clevis ,blade,1 tree way swivei,one barel swiwel,2 hook's eagle claw,style 575,size 2 gold-jig aberdeen.
1 ty hook to 14lb floracarbon
2 ty line to barel swiwel 6" long
3 ty 40lb line to barel swiwel with hook
4 put beed then sinker,all 4 same way
5 put on clevis and blade
6 ty 40lb line to 3 way swivel 18" from barel swiwel
7 ty hook to 3 way swivel 4" long leeder
done hok to main line 20lb power pro.
you can make more havy or lighter rigs with deferent weight slip sinker's.
i use these hooks to cast jig's,then i try them on thet perch rig,they look akvard but they work perfect,they are heat treetet sharp like needl,
if you wonet to ad third hook ty 3 way swiwel 18" from privios sviwel and ad hook,
i used defrent hooks and if i had smal minows i was riping the minows a part with the hooks,this hook go throo the minow like needel with out tering that a part.
wach your finges becouse the hook is in your finger at no time.
you feel every tap.
snag

·
Registered
455 Posts
I like to use Ole Pete's jigging spoons. I know this isn't exactly a secret lure, but they have worked very well for me the few times I've fished for perch. White, purple, green, and gold all seemed to pull fish with white probably being the most consistent for me. I think the thump of the weight hitting bottom helps attract the fish, plus I'm sure it stirs up a little sediment on the bottom. Maybe looks like a minnow foraging on the bottom? I don't know, but it works.

Here's a link if you're interested: http://www.olepetestackle.com/spoonsblades.htm

·
Registered
667 Posts
Have tried them all...crappie rig, spreaders, skipper 9, Ole Pete's and plain inline with no bling. Crappie rig and skipper 9 tangle too much for me.

Probably most productive for me is a plain inline sinker- usually 3/4 or 1 oz - to which I just attach a snelled hook - gold Aberdeen or red Tru-Turn on bottom end. Sometimes I will also tie a second hook on very short line of one end of the inline sinker. For a spreader Happy Hooker had some shiny gold ones in which the wire is very heavy and goes through a football shape sinker so sinker can swivel on the wire. These are best I have ever used....a little pricey but seldom tangle, hold up well.

I fish two poles. One rigged with the plain jane inline rig and the other the spreader. Some days one is hot, other days they want the other one. When I find which one they want, that is the one I actively fish in my hand. The other pole lays over the boat rail and bounces in the waves just off bottom. Cept the other day...didn't matter which style rig was laying down...that was the one that was hooking them and I couldn't buy a hookup on the one I was holding. Go figure.

Also...I have one pole spooled with power pro, the other with mono. One will do good one day, the other better a different day, depending on the way the bite is. Both poles are identical so has the be difference in line stretch.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Switched to Ole Pete's perch jigs a couple of years ago and have not looked back. I replace the hooks with nylon coated wire snells in #2 size and use braided line. The bigger perch were coming unbutttoned too often due to the smaller barbs on the #4 & #6 hooks.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Forgot to mention I use both a bottom pounding noisemaker and the minnow jar shown earlier. I find the jar seems to keep them around longer and the bottom pounder gets them over to see what is going on.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All good replys.

But here's a few questions:

Is a 3rd hook on a crappie rig a good idea or just a bait waister?

Will a small glow bead draw the fish or just distract them from the bait?

Anybody tried the Gulp 1" leeches? If so what color?

How about pork rind strips ... will they bite em?

Any other gulp product, soft plastic or artificial work well?

Got to admit ... I'm enjoying the perchin.

·
Kiss The Converse
4,560 Posts
moust sensitive perch rig
use 4 pieses 1/4 Oz slip sinkers ,4 beeds,clevis ,blade,1 tree way swivei,one barel swiwel,2 hook's eagle claw,style 575,size 2 gold-jig aberdeen.
1 ty hook to 14lb floracarbon
2 ty line to barel swiwel 6" long
3 ty 40lb line to barel swiwel with hook
4 put beed then sinker,all 4 same way
5 put on clevis and blade
6 ty 40lb line to 3 way swivel 18" from barel swiwel
7 ty hook to 3 way swivel 4" long leeder
done hok to main line 20lb power pro.
you can make more havy or lighter rigs with deferent weight slip sinker's.
i use these hooks to cast jig's,then i try them on thet perch rig,they look akvard but they work perfect,they are heat treetet sharp like needl,
if you wonet to ad third hook ty 3 way swiwel 18" from privios sviwel and ad hook,
i used defrent hooks and if i had smal minows i was riping the minows a part with the hooks,this hook go throo the minow like needel with out tering that a part.
wach your finges becouse the hook is in your finger at no time.
you feel every tap.
snag
Geez-us..

I use the K.I.S.S. method when Perchin, a good fish finder along with a Crappie Rig or an Old Pete's spoon keep my freezer full.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Jim, my theory about "bling" vs. "no bling" was proven this past Saturday. I have always used a spreader with snelled #4 hooks. Saturday morning my son was using a spreader with no beads or colored blades. He began catching perch one right after the next as soon as we dropped anchor. I was using a spreader with lots of "bling" - red beads on the end of the spreaders and green blades on each snelled line. I could only manage an occasional perch. After this went on for about 30 minutes I switched to a plain spreader, one snelled side with bling and the other side with no bling. I immediately started catching perch but only on the "no bling" hook. I switched out the other snelled hook to "no bling" and began catching them on either side. For some reason they just wanted a plain "no bling" presentation.
Now the previos day was different. They were hitting so fast and so hard that it didn't matter. They would hit either with bling or without.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Patsea, I've seen that before with the Bear Paw hooks. Just too much ...sometimes.

Thanks & good fishing.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I like to attach a snell on the weight & also shorten the distance between snells on crappie rigs just far apart enough so as not to tangle. Most of the time the third snell on a crappie rig style setup is a waste of bait. When you catch a fish set the hook and wait a moment & the other hook will usually get bit.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts