Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm outfitting a new boat (Starweld Fusion 20 DC Pro) and need to order rod holders and tracks for Lake Erie trolling. I've had Titeloks for many years on my Lowe and want something more robust and easier to adjust. I picked Bert's as they fall between Titelok and Cisco in pricing and seem decent. Not ready to spring for Cisco's but appreciate their quality. StarCraft features Bert's in option packages.

Reactions: 40xmax

·
Registered
131 Posts
Don't run them anymore but they are a quality rod holder. Big upgrade from titelok. Never cared for the lever on berts but I wouldn't let that stop me from buying them.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Check out magnum metalz I bought 2 doubles mast year and really like them one handed adjustment and a local company just like cisco and not as pricey

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'll check them out and muddy creek too. A set of 8 is a lot of money after dropping a few for a new boat

·
Registered
282 Posts
Only thing I didnt like about the Bert's is that you cant rotate them so they would lay flat for the boat cover. I had the ratchet style for years. Stout for running any rods.not Cisco or muddy creek quality but also no the price.

·
florida ice fishing
13,799 Posts
the cannon ratcheting single axis put berts to shame. you can lower and raise the cannon with one hand. hodgesmarine.com has them for 74.53. I was going to switch to traxstech but after getting one I liked the 17 up and down adjustments but not as much as the one hand operation of the cannon.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Been using Bert's ratcheting for year's.If I were to replace them it would be with the Cannon multi axis ratcheting because of the one hand use.Other than that no complaint's.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I like mine only problem my one sticks sometimes I think it just needs a little lube. I have some Cisco’s to and also like them.
Jeff, just like any moving part that's being used in the element's they need cleaning and re-lubing, ran into the same problem,easy fix.I used oil instead of any type of grease so dirt wouldn't build up.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would prefer the rod holders to rotate inward when I cover the boat or have a pedestal with quick release like Cisco offers. I currently remove 2 titelok pedestals and fumble with installing, removing, storing 8 loose thumb screws plus necessary spares. Moving 6 or 8 holders off a track before covering boat would seem cumbersome compared to releasing 2 pedestals. I look forward to an easy retirement soon! So for now, I'm considering Cisco pedestals or Bert's pedestals mounted on gunwale track. Muddy Creek seem nearly identical to Cisco's but found less info so far. Decisions, decisions......

·
STX 206 Viper
1,848 Posts
I have all Bert’s on my boat, trees, tubes and cradles. The trees are great, very strong and can be rotated 90 degrees at a time via a spring-loaded mechanism. Great for keeping rods parallel to boat when running. Tubes are good, strong ratchet action but does require two hands. Great for dipsys. Cradles are OK and can be used for dipsys, boards or musky lures. The problem with the cradles is that the plastic cradle part easily separates from the aluminum riser and can be dropped overboard. I ended up drilling and tapping for thumb screws to hold them in place. Works fine, but obviously not ideal. I’d like to have Cisco’s but these work fine so I can’t justify the expense.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I have muddy creeks on mine. I chose them over the Cisco’s due to they are less expensive and just as good quality imo. I also worried about someone not getting the lever tight on the Cisco’s and would start losing my Tekotas. I’m sure it’s just my paranoia but no regrets really. Good luck.

·
I don’t exaggerate…I just remember BIG!
1,707 Posts
Here is my observation with Cisco’s and Traxstech. I like the quality of a Cisco’s BUT if you get into Salmon the Cisco’s will spin the Rod holder on tree mast. Mag Dipsey’s with wire divers and pulling Mag boards with coppers will twist the holder on the tree. I literally carry a 20v Dewalt drill to tighten as much as I can. This could easily be remedied by making the tree mast itself with channels or oblong or something so it can’t twist. Traxstech are designed differently and will not twist. I also run the Traxstech GTLT-100’s for easy one hand operation and run dipseys off them now. Trees for boards only and ratcheting tubes for dipseys. I’m all for buying quality once!
D5421883-CC9C-4799-BDF6-C4AB2BC82F25.jpeg

·
florida ice fishing
13,799 Posts
the cannon single axis will rotate side to side with infinite adjustments as much or a little as you want to adjust them. the double axis rotates 360 degrees but adjusts from pin hole to pin hole. either one is great but I prefer the single axis as I don't need them to rotate 360 degrees. berts, traxstech both takes 2 hands to set them where all you have to do with the cannon is grab the holder with one hand and squeeze to lower the holder. sure makes it nice when you have a rod in one hand to be able to lower the holder with the other hand.

·
Registered
179 Posts
So curious. I have a Crestliner with their track system. I have the Cabela rod holders but this year I’m debating running sometimes two rods out the back and the Cabela style won’t allow me to rotate it towards the side to fish it straight back when attached to the suremount track system. So curious what I can mount in the rear of my boat on a suremount holder that can spin towards the rear to be fished straight back?

Scottys by chance or is there others that can rotate towards the back when on the suremount?

·
1,707 Posts
the cannon single axis will rotate side to side with infinite adjustments as much or a little as you want to adjust them. the double axis rotates 360 degrees but adjusts from pin hole to pin hole. either one is great but I prefer the single axis as I don't need them to rotate 360 degrees. berts, traxstech both takes 2 hands to set them where all you have to do with the cannon is grab the holder with one hand and squeeze to lower the holder. sure makes it nice when you have a rod in one hand to be able to lower the holder with the other hand.
Not accurate. The Traxstech also offer single hand infinite adjustments. The GTLT-100’s also have the 360 adjustable base. Also much much more robust design. The design is such that when a fish hits, you can grab the holder, lift and remove rod all at once in a single motion. Move to 1:07 on the video.

·
florida ice fishing
13,799 Posts
Not accurate. The Traxstech also offer single hand infinite adjustments. The GTLT-100’s also have the 360 adjustable base. Also much much more robust design. The design is such that when a fish hits, you can grab the holder, lift and remove rod all at once in a single motion. Move to 1:07 on the video.

I didnt say the traxstech wouldnt rotate but the ones I got only rotated 45 degrees in each direction or that it wouldnt ratchet up with one hand. but lets see you set it down with one hand. you have to pull the pin with one hand while lowering it with the other. with the cannon you just get hold of the holder with one hand and squeeze and lower to where you want. then it ratchets up just like berts or traxstech holders.

·
1,707 Posts
I didnt say the traxstech wouldnt rotate but the ones I got only rotated 45 degrees in each direction or that it wouldnt ratchet up with one hand. but lets see you set it down with one hand. you have to pull the pin with one hand while lowering it with the other. with the cannon you just get hold of the holder with one hand and squeeze and lower to where you want. then it ratchets up just like berts or traxstech holders.
Do it all the time...but whatever.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, I'm going to erie Outfitters to check out berts muddy and ciscos after I pick up my starweld 20.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts