Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
An acquaintance was there and got ten nice crappie shallow very early today(Sunday). The big walleye tourney((and perhaps a bass tourney as same time?) caused a very crazy launch ramp scene, and a pretty churned up lake(lots of noise and wake/wave action) everywhere was likely affecting and causing a "slow" panfish bite today! All that and a stationary cold front this weekend didn't help the bite. Weekdays this week should produce better catch rates.

·
Registered
185 Posts
An acquaintance was there and got ten nice crappie shallow very early today. Said the big walleye tourney((and perhaps a bass tourney as same time!) caused a very crazy launch ramp scene, and a pretty churned up lake(lots of noise and wake/wave action) everywhere was likely affecting and causing a "slow" panfish bite today! All that and a stationary cold front this weekend didn't help the bite. Weekdays this week should produce better catch rates.
The bite was so tough that I questioned weather the spawn was still on but we caught a few females that still had eggs. I think the cold front gave the fish lock jaw.

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
There will be spawners(probably hard to find) for a while yet. The big lakes were slow to warm this year and likely slowed down egg development. The males have no problem w/"compliance":).

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
My acquaintence got some yesterday, a few still shallow/spawning. Some are relating to fish shelters, slightly deeper. Not easily locatable however. Gills are starting to bed, some are "nicer" ones.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
just a heads up, was up to berlin a few days ago fishing on shore at the causeway. got some average gills 2 wipers and one crappie BUT when i got home found 3 tics on me from walking through the tall grass, so be careful

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
I pulled two ticks off me at Walborn last week. Only on shore for a few minutes to launch kayak and found them below my knees while on the water. Found one more the next morning in the bath water. No idea what part of the body it was on.

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
just a heads up, was up to berlin a few days ago fishing on shore at the causeway. got some average gills 2 wipers and one crappie BUT when i got home found 3 tics on me from walking through the tall grass, so be careful
Wow, on the causeway yet! Sounds like a bad year(in many ways)! Artificials or bait for the wipers?? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
yep, small plastics i normaly use for crappie 3 ft. under a float. those wipers put up one heck of a fight, biggest about 18 inches. thats the second time fishing there and both times....TICS

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
Nice! If you spray your legs, socks, long pants w/a good tick/mosquito repellent, helps a lot to keep them off you. I know this from Spring turkey hunting in Harrison cty. Marcs has Coleman 100% deet repellent, can't do better than that!( prob not recommended for bare skin though!)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
i used deep woods off tic repelant, it worked good a few weeks ago when i was schrooming. but the tic at berlin didnt seem to mind it. but that wont keep me away from there i kinda like catching those wipers

·
Registered
97 Posts
Use Permethrin on your clothes.
Used this with good results.
In a spray bottle, mix 2 cups of distilled white vinegar and 1 cup of water. To make a scented solution so you do not smell like bitter vinegar, add 10-20 drops of your favorite essential oil or bath oil. Eucalyptus oil is a soothing scent that also works as a tick repellent, while peppermint and citrus oils give off a strong crisp scent that also repel ticks. After mixing the solution, spray onto clothing, skin, and hair before going outdoors. Reapply every four hours to keep ticks at bay.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
You can get a spray can of that stuff At Walmart, I believe you don’t put it on yourself , just your outer clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
433 Posts
the mild winter probably has alot to do with the abundance of ticks.
We live next to a woods for 30 years and never had a problem .This spring one on me and one of the grandkids.Had her in hysterics crying trying to get it out.

sorry didnt mean to hijack

·
Registered
71 Posts
So we know that the ticks are bad, how's the fishing going? Had to have the yard sprayed for the little buggers. Is the fishing worth dealing with the power boats? Hope everyone pays attention about the ticks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
So we know that the ticks are bad, how's the fishing going? Had to have the yard sprayed for the little buggers. Is the fishing worth dealing with the power boats? Hope everyone pays attention about the ticks.
Crappie have moved on I think. Blue gills are biting now and white bass towards 224 I heard. I didn’t hear anything about walleye.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Caught a few shallow the nice ones were deeper Bite has slowed down

Reactions: HappySnag
1 - 20 of 21 Posts