Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Went to Berlin Sunday between 330 and 8 pm. Insane boat traffic and no drift ,so I trolled Rapalas between the bridges. Missed at least three but caught these 2 walleyes and 3 cats.The biggest was 23 inches,my best ever from Berlin. Great half day of fishing, Id take this any the time. The only negative was some idiots with their boats , I had water over the bow several times from them coming too close and too fast.

·
still_luv_sunfish'n
989 Posts

Went to Berlin Sunday between 330 and 8 pm. Insane boat traffic and no drift ,so I trolled Rapalas between the bridges. Missed at least three but caught these 2 walleyes and 3 cats.The biggest was 23 inches,my best ever from Berlin. Great half day of fishing, Id take this any the time. The only negative was some idiots with their boats , I had water over the bow several times from them coming too close and too fast.
looks like more than a sandwich WOW!!!! nice catch.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My girlfriend always wants to go to Berlin, She has caught eyes there so she is addicted. She doesnt understand that my boat(12 foot aluminum ) is way too small to be there when all the wonderful(a$$hole) pleasure boaters are there.We live 5 minutes from Springfield lake. I dont mind fishing it . We have had good and bad days there. Now she is mad about all the jet skiers. I guess I will have to get a raise and buy a place with a private pond!$

·
Now in a Alumacraft
1,531 Posts
Congrats on the PB for Berlin..I won't go to Berlin until fall now because of the pleasure boaters..Maybe a very early morning trrip..Then again Ive seen them skiing at 7 am before

·
fishing extradonaire
755 Posts
nice fish prowler..what were u trollin, HJ's? Shad Raps? between the bridges id imagine 14 and rr..were you stayin alond the river channel? always caught fish in that strip

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice job, way to stick with it even with the boat traffic. 23 in. walley on any inland lake in Ohio is a great fish. Just remember, the pleasure boaters are only here for the summer.
Looking forward to getting out tomorrow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wish the state of Ohio would dedicate a lake or two to only the pleasure boaters, jet skiers, etc. and their need for speed so they can make each others lives miserable and not bother the fishermen and the fish! Any lakes we could like to donate to them ? :>)

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
I myself believe that fish are programmed like pigeons at the park and back yard squirrels. They adapt to their environment whatever it may become. Boat traffic becomes a part of their environment and does not scare them as much as might be excpected. If anything, a boat churning up a big wake may mean an easy meal for the fish below. Kinda like the way dolphins and other species follow in the wakes of commercial fishing rigs in the ocean.
I have caught walleye and saugeye both directly under and around my boat with the outboard running, and it has led me to believe that they must get used to us.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice fish prowler..what were u trollin, HJ's? Shad Raps? between the bridges id imagine 14 and rr..were you stayin alond the river channel? always caught fish in that strip
Hi freak, we need to trade some spots. I was trolling(with the big motor) Rapala tail dancers,one purple,one green/black/chart. Yes I was out in front of Mill creek,in the main lake.I was close to the channel ,the fish were all marking around 12-15 ft. which is where those tail dancers troll at. I plan on going later this week ,after work for a few hours.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I agree with all eyes. I have been at West Branch near the sunken island on a Sat. and pleasure boaters everywhere. We were anchored and doing well on the eyes, but only when the boat traffic was heavy. When the boats would be sparse and the wake little, bite really slowed. It was kind of funny. Jet skiers kept trying to buzz us and horsing around. We were glad because we would then get bites. Nearly limited out that day with high sun in mid July. I think the wake would break the light rays and also create the action on our jigs or live bait rigs that triggered the fish.
LindyRigger

·
getting jigging with it
625 Posts
My girlfriend always wants to go to Berlin, She has caught eyes there so she is addicted. She doesnt understand that my boat(12 foot aluminum ) is way too small to be there when all the wonderful(a$$hole) pleasure boaters are there.We live 5 minutes from Springfield lake. I dont mind fishing it . We have had good and bad days there. Now she is mad about all the jet skiers. I guess I will have to get a raise and buy a place with a private pond!$
It may be cheaper to buy a bigger boat then a new place...
Not sure where you could put in at berlin that is no wake your boat would be fine there though...I had a 12 foot aluminum out on WB a few times and was very nervous do to pleasure boaters... But I just adapted and went after dark when the lake was like glass I am sure you could do the same at Berlin the walleye bite may even be better.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ah heck man I spent the best years of my life on Berlin in a 12 foot alum and an 8 hp chrysler. Just don't load her down too much and I think you will be fine.

Brian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts