Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan on going out catfishing this evening and I am not 100% sure where I want to go yet. I have been tearing them up at Moggie just about every weekend. Caught 16 in 3 hours last weekend. All bull head except for 2 good size channels.

Milton has not been kind to me at all this year. I have been there 5 times and got 4 fish to show for all thos times. I havent been up there since beginning of June though.

Have never fished Berlin but was wanting to try up by the dam or off the 224 bridge. Anyone know how the bite is up there recently??

I have never fished the Tusc river either except Lock 4 in canal fulton and that was back in the mid 90's during HS. The bowfin thread has me wanting to go here the most since I have been wanting to catch one at Moggie but havent yet. i would more than likely try by 40 corners or Lake Lucern area if I pick to go here to help narrow down the area.

Whats your opinions guys?? Where would you go out of the 4 places I listed? Thanks for taking the time to read all of that and for any info. Its greatly appreciated.

·
Fisherman
2,352 Posts
depends on what you want. catfish or bowfin? i keep hearing the tusc is good for bowfin, and the 3 ive caught have come out of the dam. not to mention that a some time ago, i caught a few catfish on livers in the morning.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I really want to get a bowfin since I have never seen one and it would be a new species that I can say I have caught. Baby six gill sharks are the best I have done and that was out in Washington state while I was stationed at Ft Lewis, in Puget sound. I did help a guy that was tagging them for the state catch one on rod and reel that was almost 300 #. Looked like a mini jaws ha ha. The first 20 feet, or last 20 feet how ever you look at it, was solid steel cable. He was using raw whole pork chops to catch them. Craziest thing I have ever seen caught on a rod and reel set up. I know that sounds like a fish tale, I wouldn't have believed it either if I hadn't witnessed it first hand. Thanks for the help Jonny, I appreciate it.

What dam are you referring too?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have been doing good recently at moggy on channels with many over two feet and 4 FO. I have personally seen a couple guys catching bowfin on the east side of congress lake rd while fishing for crappie with minnows under a bobber.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive been using raw shrimp and been doing pretty good numbers wise. 16 last weekend, 24 the weekend before that and then the 36 the weekend before that one. only got 5 good size channels out of all those though. I will have to swing by Mog. B&T and pick up some minnows. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
331 Posts
No problem. Unfortunately there were 5 bowfin thrown on shore and left to rot this was 3ish weeks ago. Some people think they are invasive which is not true and is sad. That being said with all the cover on that side of the lake there should be plenty in there. In my limited knowledge of fishing bowfin the best method I have found is a minnow under a bobber right next to Lilly pads.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

1 - 7 of 7 Posts