Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Equal opportunity fishing
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been to Berlin lately? If so, how'd ya do? Plannin' on going Sunday. I'm leaning towards Berlin as opposed to Skeeter, mainly because of the drive, much quicker to Berlin. Want to try out this new Lowrance 552 iGPS and see if my money(lot's of it) was well spent. Never saw a color one while it was on the water. Hopefully the demo correctly depicts the real thing once I'm out there.

·
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the Navionics NE United States chip. As far east as ILL, north to MI, south to SC and north east to Maine and everything in between, including Lake Erie. I've been playing with it in the house for two weeks trying to learn all the features, but it has too many to learn in that short a time. Spent 6 hrs today cleaning the boat and putting all the necessities back in from the winter. Gonna head out in the morning and see how it works. See if it helps me get any extras in the boat.......:p

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts
snake, i have the same gps. it's great! it may take awhile to learn all the functions but once you get it down, it's amazing.

·
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Used it yesterday and really enjoyed it. The best feature in my opinion, is the split screen:map of lake with gps on one side and the sonar on the other side. Really sweet. Have absolutely no complaints on money spent compared to happiness!!!!:p

·
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Caught one smallmouth, about 2.5 lb and nothing for hours. Decided to fish for crappie before we left and got 6 in an hour and a half. Kept 5 of them. Was after walleye, but that's how it goes I suppose!! At least we didn't get :S

·
Registered
257 Posts
Tried fishing Monday. No luck. Of course, I fished the north end of the lake and water temps were 50 to 51 degrees. Still a little cold for the crappies to be in the shallows. Maybe I'll go to Mosquito later this week and hold off for Berlin next week or so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Went Tuesday May 1...Killed the crappie in the shallows 4-5ft with a minnow and a bobber. All crappies were 9-11 inches. Didn't get any monsters but probably caught 50 in about 2hrs. Brought home 15 for the pan and released the rest. Also got one perch that went 9 1/4 inches which is a personal best at Berlin. Only seen 3 or 4 boats out which was surprising b/c it got up to 84 degrees and sunny.

·
Registered
57 Posts
the crappie bite at Berlin started after 9:00 P.M. last night, only got two backto back in the dark just as I ran out of minnows after three hours of no action on the South sise of the 224 causeway.

Kaz32

·
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:G I actually met up with a few friends there last Sunday. They had caught 30-40 crappie each that day before I got there. Had I got there earlier, might've done better. So.......I'll take 2 of my sons and start there early tomorrow. Instead of playing with the fishfinder all day, I'lll concentrate on fish!!! I know the water was 52 degrees in most spots, but where we were fishing it was like 54.3 or so. I'm breaking out some mini beetle spins, 1" tubes and 1" twister tails along with live bait....minnows, crawler parts and waxies. Will post when I return!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Anyone fished the white bass run in the Mahoning? If so, how did you do? I fished it once last week, all the fish I caught were small. Hopefully with this warm weather the bigger fish should be moving upstream soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts