close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Berlin last couple days

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Trautman, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Jarett and I been out to Berlin the last couple evenings. Dragging some jigs and Lindy rigs. Mostly catfish, catfish, and more catfish. Sunday however produced a nice 16 1/2 walleye and last night we got another 16 incher. Fishin has been fun but not much eatin being done. LOL Here is the best fight of the evening! carp.jpg

Brian

2. Carp are great fun to get a hook into. They are an under fished species around here no doubt. Good fighters and pretty durable.

Ya got some laughs landing that one! Nice going.

3. It sounds like it was fun. Tell us about these catfish?

4. Not much to tell. Caught at least 10 on Sunday and another 7 or 8 on Monday. We are dragging Lindy rigs and Jig heads tipped with 1/2 crawler. Write more later about where.

T

5. OK so here is the deal. Been trying just about everything lately to find a good bite. Changing Lakes from WB to Belin and Milton. Always challenging! So as it turns out Berlin seems to be the most consistant for us of late. We like WB but Berlin seems to have Jaretts interest lately and since he picks the Lake to fish that is where we have been. I have had some luck on the humps but am having better luck working the drop offs. I have been drifting the lines that bring us from deep water up on the shallows. The bite seems to be at 14 to 17 foot of water. One Walleye was suspended at about 10 foot in about 18 foot of water. Got it while vertical jigging off the side of the boat. Big updraws with a small white jig. The cats are coming about 10 to 50 foot onto the flats. The other Walleye was in 14 foot of water on structure. Seems like catching the cats is fairly easy on a Lindy rig and a 1/2 crawler on a 8 or 10 hook. Just walk the sinker nice and slow and give him about a foot run and hit em. We have released several cats in 2 to 3 pound size. We also have caught some nice cats up against the tressel bridge pillars. There we used one large spil shot about 12 inches up from the crawler and just watched the line as it sunk for it to take off. Used to take crappie that way from there as a kid on a regular basis. Oh I did catch about a 6 inch perch too. almost forgot about that one. LOL. Jarett insisted on taking a pic. I'll post it but it did not come out well.

T

Attached Files:

6. shewwee thats ugly! better learn how to resize pics!

7. Beer:30

Beer:30 ReelAddiction ch.68

Trautman,
    all fish were taken drifting? did you see/talk to anyone trolling? going there w/ the family on sunday-monday, and trying to get on some fish. camping at the campground and know the lake pretty well, so you do not have to specific locations, but areas would help. any help would be greatly appreciated.

8. Thanks for the post, pics and the good walleye info. A buddy of mine picked up 38 crappie last week and got 30 the following day at Berlin. All jig and blue/silver plastics.

9. The trolling bite is still pretty decent been catching lots of fish just not as many walleye as i would like, have been picking up some nice 20-24 inch walleye lately but they are all over in different depths, i have been catching them suspended in 20 ft of water and still getting them on the 6 ft humps, this time of year if you can find where they are piled up you can do well. I will be out tomorrow night and friday all day and all night in to all of saturday fishing for eyes. This time of year i do real well after dark fishing til 4 in the morning. Biggest eye last saturday we caught was 24 inches and weight just over 5 pounds. Been running into a lot more cats the past couple weeks trolling cranks, Had a few that have been over two feet long weighing close to 10 pounds. Still catching 10 to 20 big crappie each time out. Last saturday got a 22 inch smallie trolling, it was a pig. But i will share my results on sunday when i return. But on average i have been catching atleast 15 to 20 fish trolling usually about 4-5 hours each time i have been out lately which still makes it fun.

10. how about from shore any one been doing anything?

11. Beer:30

Beer:30 ReelAddiction ch.68

thanks for the report Tack. good luck this weekend and i will post my results on tuesday.

12. a place that use to do me real good for walleye and catfish and just about anything from shore was in the campgrounds fishing right on the launch ramps at night time, it seems like the baitfish plus the crayfish come out towards the evening and fishing used to be pretty good right around there from shore. I might try that this weekend late at night.

13. I have not been doing as much trolling as Tack. We did hook up and boat a nice muskie last week off the East side north of 224. Banging cranks off the shallows and bringing them into deep water. We have been laying off the trolling to save on the gas but we are heading out tonight for a bit after work. I will let you know how we do.

Brian

14. One place I would recommend from shore is around the RT. 18 R.R. bridge area. I like the hill along the N.W. side of the bridge and also the cove on the S.E. side of the bridge. There are spots along that area that hold crappie, smallies, LM, catfish and walleye. The cove is deep and the walls are mostly steep cliffs of layered flagstone. It's pretty cool to see when the water is dropped. From shore that whole area offers a lot of different depths and structure not to mention the bridge itself.

15. i thought the trestle area was private property? I have tried to get permission and it was a no go.

16. That may very well be. I haven't fished it from shore in years, but I don't remember it being private property or having to sneak in. It seems like a lot of people fished there then. Sounds like things have changed. Sorry if my big mouth gets someone busted. :p

17. went fishing at berlin all friday and the fishing was slow to say the least. the catfish are biting like crazy throughout the whole day on cranks, and i was running jet divers and worm harnesses for walleye and catching cats.ended up with 10 catfish and 5 crappie. Took til about dusk to finally get some walleye action that lasted 30 minutes right at dusk. Caught 3 keepers, 24,23,21 inches nice walleye. Fished saturday for a little while in the morning and caught a few small eyes, 10 catfish, 8 crappie. Caught the walleye in deep water.

18. We were out till about 1:30am on Sat morning. Had same results one good eye and one release. Jarett did boat a nice cat that we kept. Slow all in all. Did see a couple put a nice eye in the boat over on the flat north of 224. We tried trolling on electric for awhile to see if the bite changed. Nothing. Going to see what this front does this week. I will post back. Tack what blades are you running?

19. i was using willows cause i was trolling at 2.0 mph but most of my fish came on cranks. This hot weather is kinda putting a damper on the walleye bite, but maybe if it cools off things will change.

20. Ya that is what I am hoping for also. I booked a camping trip out to WB for the follwing week. I'll let you know if things change for me at Berlin. I will also let you know if WB is doing anything.

Brian