Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Tall Tales Bait and Tackle
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Thank you very much for your kind words and support during last weeks report. Many of you have come into the shop and voiced your support, purchased some items, or thanked me personally and it is very much appreciated. I apologize for how short this week's report is as we are averaging 10 calls an hour for "personalized reports." It's been hard to get too detailed with the limited time.

The white bass have been on fire! We are hearing of over 100 per person by our regulars (please keep in mind these are people who have fished this spot and targeted these fish their entire life, they know the spots and the baits to target these fish) as of Thursday Morning! Rooster Tails have been by far the most productive bait based on what we are hearing but they are also catching fish on 1/8 and 1/16 oz jigs and Gulp Minnows or Twister Tails in 2-3”

Crappie- Crappie have begun to start, but very slowly and they’ve been sporadic. Best fishing has been from anglers hanging lanterns under the Greenbower bridge at night with Panfish Assassins and small minnows. We have also heard of a few crappie mixed in with the white bass in the Mahoning River, and a few caught under the 225 bridge (they were still about 15' deep).

Walleye- No walleye as of yet. Check Milton or Mosquito first as their lakes tend to warm up first.

Musky- We are still hearing of a few being caught below the Spillway at Milton on bucktails and Inline Spinners.

“Wipers”- We heard of a few wipers caught this week near Greenbower and Rockhill area on kayaks and a few pulled out of Berlin as well. Nothing stacked, but a few caught here and there. Most were caught on bigger swimbaits, or chicken liver.

Catfish- Catfish have been caught frequently throughout the week as bycatch. Nightcrawlers as well as larger minnows and chicken liver have worked the best. The fish have been fairly shallow and active in warmer water.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Tough out here. None for me, everyone I talked to also has no fish. Only seen one roll. Water seems to only be up a couple inches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
484 Posts
Was up there this morning. 15 plus cars on 225/union bridge, gaskill parking lot was full and the new parking lot had about 10 cars. All of the main spots along the river was taken. Ended up leaving and going to another lake to hit my go to spot. Ended up with five hybrids on liver. Nothing else worked.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Seems like some people still don’t know about the limits on white bass/striped, hybrids.

Limits are 30 with only 4 fish over 15” allowed to be kept. Hybrids are fun to catch but with the ignorance out there, I don’t know how long they’ll last. Hopefully they continue to get stocked by the state.

If anyone cares, the usual spots on 225 and 62 is not on fire. Fished it during high water on Thursday with a couple to show for and yesterday. I was also informed yesterday that the pull off parking on Greenbower isn't allowed because it’s part of the trail. There are no parking signs posted all over the poles there. That came from the Ranger as I was exiting my car to go to the spillway. Spillway was dead too.

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
I went by there too yesterday. Packed like you said. Went to three other kind of isolated shore spots on Berlin. Occupied too. Headed up to Milton looked like a July 4th picnic. People everywhere just sitting around soaking up the sun. Over to West Branch. Couple of shore spots I fished this week...occupied. The RS ramp looked like July 4th weekend. Almost every parking spot taken by trucks and trailers.
Came home and grilled up some chicken.
Today the daughter and I are taking the kayaks to a private pond. Won’t see anybody and we should catch a lot of bass.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Spent a few hours at Berlin today. Crappie were in 15-18 FOW, near structure the bite was slow. Minnows with a very slooooow retrieve just off the bottom was the only thing that worked for me.
Bought the minnows last Sunday at Tall Tales they made it all week in a bucket with an aerator. Still have some left, good count and tough minnows.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Any Shallow Reports?
Surely somebody got into "Shallow" crappie(with the two day warm-up!) "Someplace!" this weekend!!?? Any reports(want to get "more Depressed" than I already am w/the Covid!) since I just had two days of mowing and yard cleanup!! Now, another Cold Front(lasting all week) has probably driven them deep AGAIN!! GRRRRR!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts