close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Berkley's Vanish

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by cheezemm2, Mar 29, 2005.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

I picked this up this weekend while getting my fishing license....any opinions/suggestions?

2. I tried it on my UL set up in 6lb. test and didn't like it. But that was on a VERY small reel where the line twists easily.

What type of reel are you using it on?

3. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

i tried some 2 lb. for ice fishing and i liked it... just wet your knots before you tighten them down.

4. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

We use it for leaders in clear water. Not the best line to spool with, but as a leader that stuff is pretty much invisible.

5. If you are looking to use Flurocarbon line I might suggest using Seagar carbon pro or P-line flurocarbon. Personally, I don't think Vanish is worth your time.

6. cheezemm2

Well, it all depends.........this is 8lb test probably going on a pretty large spincast reel..hopefully this will work out, otherwise p-line will take place, or it will become a light line leader.

7. I had the same question towards Vanish used it ice fishing

Jpackr what did you find wrong with it ?
    I like the P-Line as well

8. The Vanish line is stiff, had tons of memory and broke off way too easily even when I slobbered all over the line. I thing that carbon pro or p-line flurocarbon are much more manageable.
    If you are putting any flurocarbon on a spinning reel a couple of tips I found useful. When spooling it on the reel, don't fill it like you normally would with mono, leave at least a 1/8" or more space from the spool edge. Also, to eliminate any initial line twist, put the line in the water without anything tied on, and let it spool out, then reel it back in using your thumb and index finger for tension. It's easy to do in a boat or let the current take it down stream.

9. Thanks jpackr
    good info
    soaking the spool in a bowl of water for a few hours prior to putting it on used to help on the memory never really tried it on the new breed of lines though
    geowol

10. P Line P Line P Line P Line P Line...

11. I have used the Transition and dont like it. Its cool how it changes colors outside of the water, but the 10lb is weak. I would stick with Pline

12. cheezemm2

Well....the initial line twist killed me last night and created a really big mess...I think I'm going to try a different fluro next time...Pline, Yo, or maybe even the Cabela's brand. Right now, I'm just going to use Vanish as a leader.......Thanks for the input...