close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

berkley steelhead rods

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by stormfront, Jun 29, 2008.

1. stormfront

stormfront Guest

need a little bit of help please. have been looking at buying another steelhead rod and came across these on the net. does anyone know or have any experience with them? they run about 80 bux, which seems decent.

the actual rods are called berkley select air-im7 specialty rods.

the above rod is a med. lt. i already own an 11.5 kunnan noodle rod but was looking at something a bit shorter and lighter. is this too heavy a rod (action) for floating a jig or spawn? i have limited experience steelheading, so any advice will be appreciated. thanx

2. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

I use the Berkley 10 1/2' noddle. It is a Buzz Ramsey. I had one for 2 years and I broke it. I was devastated because I could not find one at the time. Gander started carring them so I got another last season. I really like it because it is not as noodley as some others that I have had. It has good backbone for getting those steelies under control.

3. They make a nice line of rods. I fished the A94-9MS for a season and it was light with enough power to handle our fish. It was a bit short for float fishing, though.

4. berkley does make some good rods. others....not so good. i would look into brownings line of noodle rods. they are in that price range. i have been fishing them for 8 years now and have had great success. just picked up a six rivers this year with the telescoping butt and it's damn nice for pier fishing in indiana and michigan. nice heavy blank as well with a bit more backbone than others which is hard to find and i personally love

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s..._cat=RLP&cm_pla=52900&cm_ite=productname_link

5. stormfront

stormfront Guest

appreciate the help friends.

6. Rapman, I have that same exact rod, but it's a medium-light. It's not too bad, but I prefer my cheaper one that's a little lighter.

7. stormfront

stormfront Guest

arch, which is your cheaper rod? i was also looking at a lamiglass (cheaper one) in a 10.5 medium light....any thoughts?

8. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

My old noodle rod which has not been used in quite some time is a quantum. It only cost $40 from rodmakers and it had a choice in handle size and location.
    If its not too far check our rodmakers shop or erieoutfitters.
    They have a ton of cheap noodle rods and the selections are endless.

9. My Trophy Tamer rod is the cheaper one, only cost $40.

10. stormfront

stormfront Guest

any comments on the cortland endurance rods? under 70 bux.

11. stormfront

stormfront Guest

also (sorry i am such a pain) looked at a lamiglass 10.5 medium-light (80 bux) and liked it alot, but will this rod have any effect on the use of floats and light jigs or spawn? i wouldn't think so, but there are far greater experienced chromers than i that post here, and i need all the help i can get. thanks.

12. If you mostly float & drift, a 10.5 or longer is a good length to keep much of the line out the water during the drift. The long rod also works for hovering over holes - drifting a bag, jig, or minnows through a deep run without the float, working the undercuts and nooks/crannies around the hole. In both cases, the longer rod should have a decent backbone. Companies like St. Croix and Loomis call this a "fast" rod. Regardless of brand, you should handle the rod and if possible mount a similar reel to what you use to see how the weighting is. I have a few rods sitting around that I don't use for steelheading due to the weighting (or lack of). These are now used for trolling in a canoe.

I also use a 9' rod when I may switch between floats and crankbaits, spinners, and/or spoons. The St. Croix rods for a bit under 100 bucks are a good all purpose rod. I don't care for the wild river line for this use since they are pretty whippy -- not 'fast'. The 9' is also a great tool for walleyes from the erie shorelines in the spring and fall.

When putting together a steelhead outfit, put more bucks into the reel than the rod. A good mid-priced rod will work for most situations, but more lost fish are probably due to failures in the reel, especially the drag. Dip a mid-priced rod in the water a few times and it still works as before. A sub-par reel with the same situation will normally result in rusted bearings or worse.